Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Experimenting with some jointing techniques

  1. #21
    Senior Member Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,880
    Thanked: 358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxpamjohn1 View Post
    Find that this set of YouTube videos explains the process very well.
    This is the part 2 of the pair... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh8GsyWvj-8&sns=em



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Excellent video that does explain many things for me. Thank you for posting. Seems it is another tool in the ole box.
    What a curse be a dull razor; what a prideful comfort a sharp one

  • #22
    illegitimum non carborundum Utopian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    10,911
    Thanked: 3507
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Euclid440 View Post
    Yea, we get it.

    You don’t like Jointing and you have a different interpretation of Jim Rion’s translation of Iwasaki’s writing.

    Does not mean, that it does not work. I don’t like peas, but don’t think that, no-one should eat them…

    Alex is a very accomplished honer, Jnat stone expert and dealer. He is constantly pushing the envelope, searching out new methods, reviving old ones, and has posted many, useful YouTube videos and postings.

    And as with the post you listed, has nothing to do with the original post, but thank you for your input…
    Just this once, try being civil.

    I, like you, have the right to post my opinions on this forum. Anyone has the right to disagree. Ideally they should remain respectful while doing so. You have continued to push joining/jointing constantly and, for the most part, I have left it be because you have the right to declare your opinion as often as you wish.

    I disagree with the efficacy of joining/jointing. So what?

    In case you did not notice, the topic of this post is about joining/jointing and I once again responded to what was posted. I have continued to stay on topic and you continue the personal attacks. Here is a novel idea for you...

    For once, if you disagree with me, have the decency to declare why. Rather than criticizing me for my point of view, try figuring out a way to actually come up with a counterargument.

    For some reason, you never do that and the reason why is obvious. The ridiculous thing is that you actually agree with me about the fact that Iwasaki was NOT talking about jointing and was in fact describing side honing, yet you continue to propagate is falsehood. Do you remember THIS thread? You wrote the following...

    Yes, I too now believe, Side Honing or Vibration technique is what Iwasaki was describing, based on the amount of time described in the process and that there was no mention of re-honing, as one would do after Jointing as Utopian posted in the original thread.

    Do you notice that you gave EXACTLY the same reasons that I have continued to use to explain why the common interpretation of that section of Iwasaki's treatise is wrong? Despite this, you have continued to push Iwasaki as the reason why you originally tried this method that you have been pushing for so long. Regardless, some people, including you, believe that there is some benefit to joining/jointing and I have absolutely no problem with that; but that does not mean anyone should be lead to believe that anything Iwasaki wrote is the basis for it.
    bluesman7 likes this.

  • #23
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    18,572
    Thanked: 5969

    Default

    Who came up with the term 'Jointing' for this, anyway? Curious?

  • #24
    Hones & Honing randydance062449's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    6,559
    Thanked: 1456
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hello all
    It has been some time since I last posted on a thread. For that I apologize.

    Regarding this thread .......

    I read Iwasaki stuff long ago and have since watched the above mentioned video.
    Based on my limited experience I never do jointing when restoring an old/damaged/oxidized edge. By jointing am referring to using a 90 degree angle. The reason is that it creates a flat edge that simply requires more work than is necessary. What I do in that case is to use a 30-45 degree angle with pressure to rapidly remove the nicks/chips/old rotten soft steel. From there I go to the 1000 grit to establish the bevel. It is much less work and has the same effect.

    I do not use either the jointing or 30-45 degree angle ever again during honing. What I do use instead are 10-20 back honing (spine leading) strokes followed by 5-10 normal edge leading strokes. Normally this will be beneficial after the 1K & 4K because this is when a wire edge/burr might form. I will also use the back honing stroke as a precaution on the higher grit stones. Sometimes it is beneficial and sometimes not.
    So for me, based on my personal experience, jointing is a waste of time, there are better methods.
    Last edited by randydance062449; 12-12-2016 at 09:16 PM.
    Randolph Tuttle, a SRP Mentor for residents of Minnesota & western Wisconsin

  • The Following User Says Thank You to randydance062449 For This Useful Post:

    tinkersd (12-18-2016)

  • #25
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    18,572
    Thanked: 5969

    Default

    OH! So 'Jointing' is someone's term for high angle honing? Who knew?
    gssixgun and rolodave like this.

  • #26
    Hones & Honing randydance062449's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    6,559
    Thanked: 1456
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharptonn View Post
    OH! So 'Jointing' is someone's term for high angle honing? Who knew?
    Yup! something new all the time !
    sharptonn likes this.
    Randolph Tuttle, a SRP Mentor for residents of Minnesota & western Wisconsin

  • #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    815
    Thanked: 165

    Default

    I find that the joining is very usefull technique for making the edge perfect I use it mainly on prefinished stage , but lately i find myself , doing it when finishing the blade and refinish it Results are consistent and thruely remarquable
    sharptonn likes this.

  • #28
    At this point in time... gssixgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sandpoint, Idaho
    Posts
    25,273
    Thanked: 12444
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharptonn View Post
    OH! So 'Jointing' is someone's term for high angle honing? Who knew?
    Which is another name for "Breadknifing" and the circle is complete

  • The Following User Says Thank You to gssixgun For This Useful Post:

    mainaman (12-12-2016)

  • #29
    I used Nakayamas for my house mainaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    8,474
    Thanked: 2503
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharptonn View Post
    Who came up with the term 'Jointing' for this, anyway? Curious?
    Someone that wanted to stand out from the crowd no doubt. Just like the multitude of youtube celebs that "come up" with the next "new" thing.
    Stefan

  • #30
    I used Nakayamas for my house mainaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    8,474
    Thanked: 2503
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gssixgun View Post
    Which is another name for "Breadknifing" and the circle is complete
    yep, exactly.

    It is the next "big" thing that is not new or big at all. I suppose some folks on the forums just like the sound of their own voices and also lots of attention.
    As you can see there is no even consensus what joining is. It is not angle honing, it is a single swipe of the edge across the corner of a stone, stone base, wooden board, hard felt cube, etc. The sole purpose of this is to remove the bur. The need usually arises with restored razors, and sometimes is a useful trick for chippy edges when micro chips form.

  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •