Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: trading up from a gilette fusion

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nanticoke, Pa
    Posts
    37
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Even the razors from whippeddog will last you your life and then some. They are not the nicest to look at but function perfect. You should worry about your form with a shave ready than anything. That can't be stressed enough. A shave ready razor you don't even stop for your first shave. So you know how it feels. If your determined to buy brand new straightrazordesigns.com has new shave ready. But would you give a 16yr old first time driver a ferarri/race car or a safe car to learn on.??

  2. #22
    Senior Member Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    109
    Thanked: 15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashew View Post
    Even the razors from whippeddog will last you your life and then some. They are not the nicest to look at but function perfect. You should worry about your form with a shave ready than anything. That can't be stressed enough. A shave ready razor you don't even stop for your first shave. So you know how it feels. If your determined to buy brand new straightrazordesigns.com has new shave ready. But would you give a 16yr old first time driver a ferarri/race car or a safe car to learn on.??
    I wouldn't give my 16 year old a Ferrari/Race car to learn on...but I wouldn't give him a car that couldn't pass a safety either. He's not trying to buy a Damascene or even a Mastro Livi. Let the kid buy a decent razor...there's nothing wrong with learning on a Dovo or Thiers Issard.


    Good luck with your transition to the straight blade.

  3. #23
    (John Ayers in SRP Facebook Group) CaliforniaCajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,542
    Thanked: 270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisBeckwith2 View Post
    OK so just to clarify I do not ever want to go back to shaving cream from a can and I never want to have to replace a cartridge or a shavette razor. Ever again. I feel that straight razor shaving is a nearly lost art and would like to learn it and have already given myself the mindset that this is what I am going to do no matter what its going to happen.
    I am 24 and in 16 years when my firstborn starts shaving its something I would like to pass on to him.
    With that being said I want a true straight razor a really good strop and to be able to learn this skill.
    You'll be happy to know that you are taking up straight razor shaving 30 years younger than I did.

    1. Read this article called Is "Straight Shaving For You" to find out what equipment is needed in straight razor shaving: Is Straight Razor Shaving for You? - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com
    2. Here is an oldie but a goodie, "Shaving Made Easy," an online instructional book from 1905 that is just as relevant now as it was then. You can download it to your PC. https://archive.org/details/shavingmadeeasyw0020th
    3. The members here were polled and the most popular size was 6/8.
    4. I'd definitely get the 3" wide strop so you don't have to learn the more difficult crossing "X" pattern. 3" covers the length of the blade so all you have to do is go back and forth. The kind of leather in a strop is a personal preference. I personally enjoy using a kangaroo leather strop the most.
    5. This forum has many other pieces of instructional information compiled over a period of many years (see the Library menu item at the top). The things I have listed are a little more short and to the point to start with. If you read the things I have listed you'll be able to browse the forum library with some perspective.
    crouton976 likes this.

    Straight razor shaver and loving it!
    40-year survivor of electric and multiblade razors

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to CaliforniaCajun For This Useful Post:

    crouton976 (02-28-2014)

  5. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    @Kashew. no of course i wouldn't do that. i would get him his own beginners razor or start him off on a shavette to see if he likes it better compared to using a razor. from the store like Gillette . i have more common sense. than that.

    @donut,California cajun. thank you. so i. obviously get a shavette isn't a true. straight . what's the difference ? Sorry. for the bad sentence. structure. this was done from my phone.
    Kashew likes this.

  6. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    After my wife got more interested in what I've been talking about this last week my wife decided to look at prices. she thinks I'm insane. lol although. the cheapest she found was about $150.

  7. #26
    (John Ayers in SRP Facebook Group) CaliforniaCajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,542
    Thanked: 270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisBeckwith2 View Post
    @Kashew. no of course i wouldn't do that. i would get him his own beginners razor or start him off on a shavette to see if he likes it better compared to using a razor. from the store like Gillette . i have more common sense. than that.

    @donut,California cajun. thank you. so i. obviously get a shavette isn't a true. straight . what's the difference ? Sorry. for the bad sentence. structure. this was done from my phone.
    A shavette usually takes a double edge blade split in half. There are blades available specific to shavettes. The Feather has a specific injector blade.

    Straight razor shaver and loving it!
    40-year survivor of electric and multiblade razors

  8. #27
    (John Ayers in SRP Facebook Group) CaliforniaCajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,542
    Thanked: 270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisBeckwith2 View Post
    After my wife got more interested in what I've been talking about this last week my wife decided to look at prices. she thinks I'm insane. lol although. the cheapest she found was about $150.
    Tell Mrs. Beckwith you know a 58-year-old man who thinks that insanity is 40 years of multiblade and electric razors

    Straight razor shaver and loving it!
    40-year survivor of electric and multiblade razors

  9. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nanticoke, Pa
    Posts
    37
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisBeckwith2 View Post
    After my wife got more interested in what I've been talking about this last week my wife decided to look at prices. she thinks I'm insane. lol although. the cheapest she found was about $150.
    Ahh yes SWMBO..thats why I suggest the wippeddog for about 41.00 you get a razor that works but isn't pretty. You can find dovo from. About 80+ brand new at straight razor designs and a few other trusted retailera.. Shop the classifieds on here. Just be careful of ebay and some stores claim they are shave ready but are not. Or the last decent option. Is to find a quality razor and have it sent to a honemiester. Search on here and you will find. Brands of Straight Razors to Avoid - Straight Razor Place Library... And read the beginners guide. Then read it again. Lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •