Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Dent on edge of razor

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Posts
    69
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Hi,

    I tried your method. Stropping did not cause any problems. I did not try shaving with it yet.

    Will post an update once I have done so. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
    Your only recourse is not honing. The first step is to try stropping it out. Start on linen. Stop immediately if you are scratching or cutting the linen, but otherwise go ahead and do a hundred strokes. Then go to leather. Watch for scratching of the leather and stop immediately if you see it. Otherwise, do a hundred laps on leather. If you are lucky, and if the edge is fine, and if the ding was slight, then you might rescue the edge that way.

    If you have to resort to honing, then start with back-honing to start to re-align the edge.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Posts
    69
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Utopian guessed it right, I don't have a whetstone yet. I should have 1 by the end of next month. But then there's the issue of teaching myself to hone......and then there is the back honing technique......the woods are looking dark and deep from here!

    I will definitely report back after my first hone.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
    You do know now that he absolutely must report back [emoji23]

    Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
    MikeB52 likes this.

  3. #13
    illegitimum non carborundum Utopian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    10,911
    Thanked: 3507
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tarekrashid View Post
    Hi,

    I tried your method. Stropping did not cause any problems. I did not try shaving with it yet.

    Will post an update once I have done so. Thanks.
    Did it at least make the bad spot disappear? If so, and if it did not scratch your strop, then you might have gotten away with it!

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Posts
    69
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    No the spot's still there. I'll shave with it tomorrow and post an update.

    Quote Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
    Did it at least make the bad spot disappear? If so, and if it did not scratch your strop, then you might have gotten away with it!

  5. #15
    Senior Member blabbermouth Gasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Colorado springs
    Posts
    2,358
    Thanked: 497

    Default

    Good luck. Hope its not bad enough to bother you. Then you wont have to worry about the hones. For now anyway. Might be a good idea (if you dont already have one) to have another razor that is shave ready. Then you will have one in ready shape for when one needs sent out for honing.
    Jerry...

  6. #16
    illegitimum non carborundum Utopian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    10,911
    Thanked: 3507
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Agreed. Unfortunately if the spot is still visible it may cause trouble. However, I have used razors that had deformed edges that still shaved fine. The problem for the OP is that he may not have access to anyone who can hone it. On the bright side, I'll bet he will be even more careful to protect his edge from now on.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Utopian For This Useful Post:

    tarekrashid (08-12-2017)

  8. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Posts
    69
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Hello,

    Today I shaved and thankfully did not cut myself, but I can feel the sharpness has faded! Stropping isn't helping much!

    Will a refreshing help? I mean with scrubbing green chalk on the canvas side and then stropping)?

    Also the only stone I found in the local market is this

    It does not have grit specs written on it...anyone has any idea?

    Thanks

  9. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Posts
    69
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Thanks for the suggestion. By the looks of things I will ned to get another one, but I would to get my technique corrected prior to spending on another piece.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    Good luck. Hope its not bad enough to bother you. Then you wont have to worry about the hones. For now anyway. Might be a good idea (if you dont already have one) to have another razor that is shave ready. Then you will have one in ready shape for when one needs sent out for honing.

  10. #19
    Fizzy Laces Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,359
    Thanked: 222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tarekrashid View Post
    Hello,

    Today I shaved and thankfully did not cut myself, but I can feel the sharpness has faded! Stropping isn't helping much!

    Will a refreshing help? I mean with scrubbing green chalk on the canvas side and then stropping)?

    Also the only stone I found in the local market is this

    It does not have grit specs written on it...anyone has any idea?

    Thanks
    That looks very much like the stone I have in my camping kit as an emergency knife sharpener. The rough side is noticeably very rough and the smooth side still rough.

    I personally would not put my razor anywhere near it.

    As for the refreshing, not sure what green chalk is?

    Geek

    Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

  11. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Posts
    69
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Damn right I will be more careful. I was up till 2.30 am last night stropping it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
    Agreed. Unfortunately if the spot is still visible it may cause trouble. However, I have used razors that had deformed edges that still shaved fine. The problem for the OP is that he may not have access to anyone who can hone it. On the bright side, I'll bet he will be even more careful to protect his edge from now on.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •