Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sterilization and Self honing vs Honemeister

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    213
    Thanked: 32

    Default

    You have to refinish the surface of the steel and work your way back to a polished surface. Boiling bleach etches the steal.

    This is what it looks like after a long bleaching.

  2. #12
    Member KempieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Delft, The Netherlands
    Posts
    54
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    Is there a way to refinish without loosing the Solingen mark with the curvature all over the blade?

  3. #13
    Plausibly implausible carlmaloschneider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mount Torrens, South Australia
    Posts
    6,023
    Thanked: 484

    Default

    That's a pity about the stains, I hope you can remedy it. But about the honing. Some would say send it away to get honed, but I would beg to differ, mainly because I like to be self sufficient. I agree with concentrating on stropping first, but only for a couple of months. I also agree partly about the finishing hone, I started with a Norton 4/8 AND a Shapton 16k and while other hones might be nice, I fail to see why I would need anything else. In fact, the JaNorton thread taught me I actually really only need the Norton. I got a great edge using just that. However (again) the Shapton is quick and easy. No need to soak, 10 laps every month or two weeks I find is all I need. It seems to me that given a good edge to start with one could keep one's razor in good shape ad infinitum with just a Shapton 16k. You will need another professionally honed razor, as a 'reference' razor. When you use/strop/hone one, as the possible edge degradation will be very slow and gradual, unless you have another razor to compare it too you may end up with a poor edge that you THINK is OK.

    Get a Norton 4/8 and maybe a Shapton 16k (if you can afford both), honing it not all that hard, if I can do it any one can...

    Carl
    dave5225 and pixelfixed like this.
    Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you?
    Walt Whitman

  4. #14
    Scale Maniac BKratchmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Decorah, IA
    Posts
    2,671
    Thanked: 641

    Default

    I still don't know why guys freak out about sterilizing and continue to ruin good blades with peroxide or bleach.

    Barbicide.

    B A R B I C I D E.

    It has to be on SRP a thousand times, and a quick search could have saved this very nice razor...

    Sorry for your loss.
    HNSB, str8fencer and sharptonn like this.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Philadelphian Suburbs
    Posts
    365
    Thanked: 30

    Default

    I made the same mistake on my Wolfertz but with a tiny bit of peroxide instead of bleach. Luckily the blade was already so dingy and old that it didn't have too much of an effect. I kind of like that look, personally. Not that I'd do it again, but I don't feel terribly upset about it.

  6. #16
    Senior Member WillN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lilburn,Ga
    Posts
    286
    Thanked: 94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BKratchmer View Post
    I still don't know why guys freak out about sterilizing and continue to ruin good blades with peroxide or bleach.

    Barbicide.

    B A R B I C I D E.

    It has to be on SRP a thousand times, and a quick search could have saved this very nice razor...

    Sorry for your loss.
    AMEN.

    Quit boiling, bleaching, soaking, etc and use the resources here to learn what to do. If you are so obsessed with germs that you ruin your blade and or scales by trying to kill something that in all likelyhood isn't there, then you have the result of what you caused.

    Will N.

  7. #17
    Just a guy with free time.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mid state Illinois
    Posts
    1,448
    Thanked: 247

    Default

    I just wanted to say this post tickled me a bit. It reminded me of myself in a way. We get on SRP, we ask our question, then we go ahead and do whatever it is we were going to do to begin with. Then we come back to SRP when it didn't go the way we hoped it would. lol. I briefly read the posts, and saw a couple people told you to stay away from bleach. Ah well, such is life I guess. Just know you're not alone. In seven months on here, I can tell you, 98 percent of the advice you get from here is going to be 100 percent correct. The other 2 percent is from people like me who think we know something. I know it's a bit late, but I've never done more than soap, water, and an alchohol swipe and I've not caught anything. It'd be safe to bet I've forgotten all about sterilization a couple times, and I'm still just as healthy as the day I put the Mach3 in the cabinet. In fact, my skin is in better condition than it ever was. Remember that part about the 2 percent though, when considering my post contents.

    Justin

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Philadelphian Suburbs
    Posts
    365
    Thanked: 30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by regularjoe View Post
    I just wanted to say this post tickled me a bit. It reminded me of myself in a way. We get on SRP, we ask our question, then we go ahead and do whatever it is we were going to do to begin with. Then we come back to SRP when it didn't go the way we hoped it would. lol. I briefly read the posts, and saw a couple people told you to stay away from bleach. Ah well, such is life I guess. Just know you're not alone. In seven months on here, I can tell you, 98 percent of the advice you get from here is going to be 100 percent correct. The other 2 percent is from people like me who think we know something. I know it's a bit late, but I've never done more than soap, water, and an alchohol swipe and I've not caught anything. It'd be safe to bet I've forgotten all about sterilization a couple times, and I'm still just as healthy as the day I put the Mach3 in the cabinet. In fact, my skin is in better condition than it ever was. Remember that part about the 2 percent though, when considering my post contents.

    Justin
    i think this advice applies to cleaning too. I used peroxide (with water and soap) not to sterilize, but to get off the gunk that had built up over time. So in general, be careful about what substances you expose your razors too. If it's not water, soap or metal polish, don't do it for any reason.

  9. #19
    Senior Member blabbermouth Kees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,948
    Thanked: 569

    Default

    I never sterilized a used razor and am still alive and kicking.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr.

  10. #20
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,546
    Thanked: 3481

    Default

    I use Barbicide to sterilize the razors. This product is used throughout the world today, to sterilize hygiene items with great success.
    I worry more about the germs floating around in the air today, than what might be lying dormant on a 100 year old razor.
    I am a big fan of bleach & peroxide for killing germs, but not on steal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •