Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 115
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: "Best" Brush for $100

  1. #1
    Senior Member zappbrannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    168
    Thanked: 47

    Default "Best" Brush for $100

    I'm looking to buy a new shaving brush, mostly because I've fallen out of love with my current brush and, well... why not. Since I have limited experience with brushes, I'm hoping to get some some recommendations. I've owned three shaving brushes in the past (a cheapo boar, a cheapo badger, and a Simpson Special 1). These were all good, especially the badger brushes, but all lost their touch after a while (probably due to misuse on my part). This time around, I want a good quality brush that I will hopefully be able to use for years if cared for properly, but also something within a reasonable budget. "Reasonable" is relative, especially around SRP, so let's say reasonable for me is $100 or less.

    Here's the information I believe would be relevant:

    -I usually face lather, but this doesn't have to be the case
    -I typically use harder, milled soaps, and often in combination with a cream
    -Definitely want to go with badger, silvertip if possible
    -I prefer bulb shaped brushes
    -I'd prefer a medium or large knot size. The Simpson Special 1 is very small which is great for traveling, but not that great otherwise.

    I'm trying to get the best performing and highest quality, longest-lasting brush that I can within that $100 budget. Reading around the forums, it seems like Thater is a solid choice, but I'd like to hear what people think beyond that.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Nemo me impune lacessit RobinK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    777
    Thanked: 217

    Default

    There is no "beyond" Thäter. Except maybe some insanely priced Rooney or Plisson. Get a 4125/2 B 26mm, and forget about the rest. Most of all Chinese import knots, irrespective of their price (they are all sourced from one company which sells them for $5 in bulk, anyhow), unless you want the hear the silent screams of under-age slave labourers in your head each time you pick up one of these things.

    I quite like my Thäters, by the way. The 4125-6 is fun...

    Thäter travel brush, 4125-2, 4125-6 (left to right)
    Lynn, dexter90723 and JTmke like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Roseville,Kali
    Posts
    10,432
    Thanked: 2023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinK View Post
    There is no "beyond" Thäter. Except maybe some insanely priced Rooney or Plisson. Get a 4125/2 B 26mm, and forget about the rest. Most of all Chinese import knots, irrespective of their price (they are all sourced from one company which sells them for $5 in bulk, anyhow), unless you want the hear the silent screams of under-age slave labourers in your head each time you pick up one of these things.

    I quite like my Thäters, by the way. The 4125-6 is fun...

    Thäter travel brush, 4125-2, 4125-6 (left to right)
    $5 in bulk? where in the hell are you getting your information??
    CAUTION
    Dangerous within 1 Mile

  4. #4
    Nemo me impune lacessit RobinK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    777
    Thanked: 217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pixelfixed View Post
    $5 in bulk? where in the hell are you getting your information??
    From China. As I keep saying, horse's mouth or it never happened. They will retail for something like $15 on aliexpress.com, but get a lot cheaper if you buy locally, and in sufficient quantities (say, a few thousand).

  5. #5
    Senior Member zappbrannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    168
    Thanked: 47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinK View Post
    From China. As I keep saying, horse's mouth or it never happened. They will retail for something like $15 on aliexpress.com, but get a lot cheaper if you buy locally, and in sufficient quantities (say, a few thousand).
    This is a bit off topic, but $5 for a random badger knot doesn't seem that far fetched: 20pcs /lot Mix Pure Badger hair Shaving Brush Knots 20/64mm,-in Shaving Brush from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

    But we're not interested in $5 badger knots from China; we're interested in a high quality shaving brush for me, right?!

  6. #6
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,690
    Thanked: 2203

    Default

    A brush you might want to consider at your price point is this one Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Badger Shaving Brush, Cherry Wood . It seems to fit your listed criteria. Here is a review Semogue Owners Club Two-Band Shaving Brush . Yes, I do have one and think it is a good brush.

    Bob
    kiruiz and rolodave like this.
    After listening to someone talk ever wonder who ties their shoe laces?

  7. #7
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Roseville,Kali
    Posts
    10,432
    Thanked: 2023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zappbrannigan View Post
    This is a bit off topic, but $5 for a random badger knot doesn't seem that far fetched: 20pcs /lot Mix Pure Badger hair Shaving Brush Knots 20/64mm,-in Shaving Brush from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

    But we're not interested in $5 badger knots from China; we're interested in a high quality shaving brush for me, right?!
    Those are cheap,crap Knots.
    rolodave and HARRYWALLY like this.
    CAUTION
    Dangerous within 1 Mile

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to pixelfixed For This Useful Post:

    williamc (12-03-2014)

  9. #8
    Senior Member JSmith1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Menominee,MI
    Posts
    1,579
    Thanked: 312

    Default

    I actually purchased a finest badger from that site once and it was quite comparable to my TGN finest, but slightly less soft in the tips. I think I only paid a couple dollars less than TGN knots so for the difference in knots the extra couple dollars was worth the softer tips. I also remember reading a couple articles that stated that most of the knots that simpson or some of the other companies come from the same sources as the cheaper knots. The only difference is that the bigger companies will hand pick the knots they want. They usually save the hand made knots for certain models. If I can find the articles again I will post a link.
    Last edited by JSmith1983; 11-12-2014 at 10:38 PM.

  10. #9
    Senior Member zappbrannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    168
    Thanked: 47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    A brush you might want to consider at your price point is this one Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Badger Shaving Brush, Cherry Wood . It seems to fit your listed criteria. Here is a review Semogue Owners Club Two-Band Shaving Brush . Yes, I do have one and think it is a good brush.

    Bob
    Thanks Bob - first-hand accounts are the best ones.

  11. #10
    Forum mogwai thebigspendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    27,501
    Thanked: 4359
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I'm with Robin with the Thater. (incidentally, welcome back Robin).

    You can also look at a best grade of brush which is usually the best bang for the buck. A tad on the scratchy side but not too bad.
    Every day without fail one should consider himself as dead-Tsunetomo

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •