Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Gasman
  • 2 Post By Obie

Thread: Brush Prep

  1. #1
    Senior Member FWiedner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    107
    Thanked: 8

    Default Brush Prep

    I have 3 shaving brushes, and, honestly, I like them all.

    I use the soft badger brushes for creams, and the stiff boar bristle for soaps.

    My question is about preparing my selected brush to shave, because I am reading posts that mention soaking the brush before use.

    My normal process has been to pick the brush according to the lather medium, run it under hot water for a second or two, give it a quick shake, dip it in the stuff, transfer to the bowl, and start whipping up lather.

    What would I be trying to accomplish by soaking my brush for several minutes versus just wetting it under the spigot for a few seconds?


  2. #2
    Senior Member blabbermouth Gasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Colorado springs
    Posts
    2,388
    Thanked: 505

    Default

    Soaking allows the hairs to soak up water and become a bit more limber. This cuts down on breakage of hairs and gets the water into the hairs enstead of just getting them wet. My understanding is when the hairs soak up water they will keep from soaking up water while lathering so the lather will stay wet on the brush and not dry as quickly.
    Jerry...

  3. #3
    Senior Member Porl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Penistone, just north of Sheffield UK
    Posts
    690
    Thanked: 122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    Soaking allows the hairs to soak up water and become a bit more limber. This cuts down on breakage of hairs and gets the water into the hairs enstead of just getting them wet. My understanding is when the hairs soak up water they will keep from soaking up water while lathering so the lather will stay wet on the brush and not dry as quickly.
    This is my understanding too. It's the reason that brushes are made from badger hair too. Most animal hair repels water whereas badger hair soaks it up.

    This is also why you don't need to soak synthetic brushes as they don't soak up the water.

    Give it a try and see if you notice any difference in the lather or in the way the brush performs. You might be surprised.
    Fact: Opinions are not the same as facts... Well, that's my opinion anyway

  4. #4
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,971
    Thanked: 2271

    Default

    People use both methods to wet a brush successfully. The only thing to do is try soaking and see if works any better for you. The exception to soaking a brush is the synthetics.

    Bob
    After listening to someone talk ever wonder who ties their shoe laces?

  5. #5
    Forum mogwai thebigspendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    27,697
    Thanked: 4402
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I think the boar brushes need soaking the most followed by the basic pure badger. I've never found soaking a silvertip to do anything besides maybe making it warmer. Badger in general instantly takes in the water.
    Every day without fail one should consider himself as dead-Tsunetomo

  6. #6
    Senior Member blabbermouth celestino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    3,456
    Thanked: 135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    People use both methods to wet a brush successfully. The only thing to do is try soaking and see if works any better for you. The exception to soaking a brush is the synthetics.

    Bob
    +1 I never soak my brushes. I always do what you do, run it under warmish tap water and start face-lathering (I mainly use shave-sticks as it allows me more time on my face).
    Laughter, Love and Shaving

    ~ Celestino ~



  7. #7
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,602
    Thanked: 2549

    Default

    Gentlemen,

    I soak my badger brush in the scuttle while taking a shower. After about 15 seconds the brush has done all the soaking it's going to do, really, but this way I keep the brush warm. Then a few gentle shakes and I just start the lather in my scuttle and finish with extended face lathering. I use the similar method with synthetic brushes. The synthetics don't need soaking, but I just like a warm brush.
    Firefighter2 and Gasman like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Firefighter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,078
    Thanked: 211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Gentlemen,

    I soak my badger brush in the scuttle while taking a shower. After about 15 seconds the brush has done all the soaking it's going to do, really, but this way I keep the brush warm. Then a few gentle shakes and I just start the lather in my scuttle and finish with extended face lathering. I use the similar method with synthetic brushes. The synthetics don't need soaking, but I just like a warm brush.
    This is pretty much my method as well. The longer it soaks, the warmer it gets within the core of the brush.
    "The funny thing about firemen is, night & day, they are always firemen."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •