Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree16Likes
  • 14 Post By KugelFanger
  • 1 Post By Geezer
  • 1 Post By HARRYWALLY

Thread: My first polyester resin brush

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Netherlands (Overijssel)
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 5

    Default My first polyester resin brush

    After looking at HarryWally's brushes with awe i thought to myself i could try to do that. To bad for me that the acrylic blanks Harry uses are quite expensive to ship from america to the netherlands. So i figured i could try pouring my own blanks and turn those.

    Well here is my first try, not to bad if i say so myself (yea i am quite proud ). my Camera focuses really bad on shiny objects so they look better in person




  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KugelFanger For This Useful Post:

    BobH (05-02-2017), Geezer (05-02-2017), HARRYWALLY (05-02-2017)

  3. #2
    Senior Member blabbermouth Geezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    EauClaire,WI
    Posts
    6,044
    Thanked: 2658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KugelFanger View Post
    After looking at HarryWally's brushes with awe i thought to myself i could try to do that. To bad for me that the acrylic blanks Harry uses are quite expensive to ship from america to the netherlands. So i figured i could try pouring my own blanks and turn those.

    Well here is my first try, not to bad if i say so myself (yea i am quite proud ). my Camera focuses really bad on shiny objects so they look better in peson
    Wonderful help to those who don't have readily available finished materials!
    The job of work was done well and looks great.
    Congratulations!
    ~Richard
    lz6 likes this.
    "Candidly, not saying, but I get in less trouble listening than speaking" Anon

  4. #3
    I love Burls....... and Acrylic HARRYWALLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baden, Ontario
    Posts
    5,179
    Thanked: 2057

    Default

    Very cool!! You did very well.

    There's gotta be some acrylic blanks close to you that you can order????
    Burls, Girls, and all things that Swirl....

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Netherlands (Overijssel)
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HARRYWALLY View Post
    Very cool!! You did very well.

    There's gotta be some acrylic blanks close to you that you can order????
    i tried searching for everything (still looking cause those paterns on the kirinite are really cool) the blanks are not that expensive, but the shipping is round about 40-60 dollars depending on what i order so... all the acrylic blanks i can buy in europe are either to small (pen blanks) or they are really expensive (the ones i found anyway)

  6. #5
    Senior Member Pete123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    228
    Thanked: 117

    Default

    Great job. I would like to think that blanks are available somewhere in the EU. There are quite a few companies making brushes.

    Another option would be to look at horn blanks, which you can order from India. They probably wouldn't call them blanks. The pointed end of horn a solid for some distance, thus you can turn it.

    The only thing I'll say is to be prepared. Horn is beautiful, though quite stinky when electric tools are working on it.

  7. #6
    I love Burls....... and Acrylic HARRYWALLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baden, Ontario
    Posts
    5,179
    Thanked: 2057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete123 View Post
    Great job. I would like to think that blanks are available somewhere in the EU. There are quite a few companies making brushes.

    Another option would be to look at horn blanks, which you can order from India. They probably wouldn't call them blanks. The pointed end of horn a solid for some distance, thus you can turn it.

    The only thing I'll say is to be prepared. Horn is beautiful, though quite stinky when electric tools are working on it.
    It's also a different bread on the lathe as well. Very brittle and tends to chip, and break. Some experience is needed for turning horn, that's for sure.

    Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk
    Geezer likes this.
    Burls, Girls, and all things that Swirl....

  8. #7
    Senior Member aalbina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    260
    Thanked: 67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KugelFanger View Post
    After looking at HarryWally's brushes with awe i thought to myself i could try to do that. To bad for me that the acrylic blanks Harry uses are quite expensive to ship from america to the netherlands. So i figured i could try pouring my own blanks and turn those.

    Well here is my first try, not to bad if i say so myself (yea i am quite proud ). my Camera focuses really bad on shiny objects so they look better in person



    Cool! Nice work - I have no idea how to make my own acrylic! Very nice.

    Adam


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Netherlands (Overijssel)
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete123 View Post
    Great job. I would like to think that blanks are available somewhere in the EU. There are quite a few companies making brushes.

    Another option would be to look at horn blanks, which you can order from India. They probably wouldn't call them blanks. The pointed end of horn a solid for some distance, thus you can turn it.

    The only thing I'll say is to be prepared. Horn is beautiful, though quite stinky when electric tools are working on it.
    hmm i can look at that also. and i have changed some scales out on an old straight, wich also were horn. The whole workshop smelled like burnt hair, so yea it stinks quite a bit :P

    Quote Originally Posted by HARRYWALLY View Post
    It's also a different bread on the lathe as well. Very brittle and tends to chip, and break. Some experience is needed for turning horn, that's for sure.

    Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk
    Polyester is not the easiest as well, gouges leave a very rough surface (almost to the point of unsandable) and with scrapers you can only do light passes otherwise you get chips. i don't know how this compares to Horn though.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •