Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Geezers wood

  1. #1
    I love Burls....... and Acrylic HARRYWALLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baden, Ontario
    Posts
    5,221
    Thanked: 2089

    Default Geezers wood

    A while back a fellow mentor, Geezer sent me a box FULL of turning blanks. When I saw how much was in the box I was so surprised. To repay him I decided to make him these 2 brushes out of some of the wood he sent. The smaller one is Ebony with Tagua nut, and the bigger, barber style handle is Bocote and Ebony.

    Thanks very much for the wood Richard. I always love new materials.


    Name:  P5225223.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  29.6 KB

    Name:  P5045145.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  27.1 KBName:  P5045147.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  39.2 KBName:  P5055149.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  39.1 KBName:  P5055150.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  45.5 KBName:  P5055151.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  37.4 KBName:  P5075174.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  35.5 KB
    Name:  P5225224.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  28.1 KB

    Check out the grain pattern in the nut. Now you know why they call it vegetable ivory.
    Burls, Girls, and all things that Swirl....

  2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to HARRYWALLY For This Useful Post:

    32t (05-23-2017), Cincinnatus (05-23-2017), Dieseld (05-23-2017), dinnermint (05-23-2017), Gasman (05-26-2017), Geezer (05-22-2017), Hirlau (05-22-2017), jmercer (10-09-2017), JOB15 (05-23-2017), markbignosekelly (05-22-2017), Martin103 (05-22-2017), MikeB52 (05-22-2017), Mrchick (05-27-2017), nipper (05-23-2017), NOTSHARP (05-28-2017), RayClem (11-06-2017), rolodave (05-23-2017), sharptonn (05-22-2017), Thug (05-22-2017), Walterbowens (05-22-2017), xiaotuzi (05-22-2017)

  3. #2
    I love Burls....... and Acrylic HARRYWALLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baden, Ontario
    Posts
    5,221
    Thanked: 2089

    Default

    Name:  P5025142.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  25.9 KBName:  P5075172.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  51.4 KBName:  P5075175.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  52.1 KBName:  P5075176.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  50.0 KBName:  P5075177.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  45.5 KBName:  P5075178.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  38.8 KBName:  P5135191.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  28.0 KB
    Burls, Girls, and all things that Swirl....

  4. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to HARRYWALLY For This Useful Post:

    Dieseld (05-23-2017), dinnermint (05-23-2017), Gasman (05-26-2017), Geezer (05-22-2017), Hirlau (05-22-2017), jmercer (10-09-2017), JOB15 (05-23-2017), Leatherstockiings (05-22-2017), lz6 (06-01-2017), markbignosekelly (05-22-2017), MikeB52 (05-22-2017), Mrchick (05-27-2017), nipper (05-23-2017), NOTSHARP (05-28-2017), sharptonn (05-22-2017), tennex (05-23-2017), Thug (05-22-2017), xiaotuzi (05-22-2017)

  5. #3
    Senior Member blabbermouth Leatherstockiings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rural Missouri
    Posts
    4,806
    Thanked: 941

    Default

    Wow. Nice work.
    Geezer and HARRYWALLY like this.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leatherstockiings For This Useful Post:

    HARRYWALLY (05-22-2017)

  7. #4
    Moderator Razorfeld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Posts
    4,606
    Thanked: 964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HARRYWALLY View Post
    A while back a fellow mentor, Geezer sent me a box FULL of turning blanks. When I saw how much was in the box I was so surprised. To repay him I decided to make him these 2 brushes out of some of the wood he sent. The smaller one is Ebony with Tagua nut, and the bigger, barber style handle is Bocote and Ebony.

    Thanks very much for the wood Richard. I always love new materials.


    Name:  P5225223.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  29.6 KB

    Name:  P5045145.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  27.1 KBName:  P5045147.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  39.2 KBName:  P5055149.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  39.1 KBName:  P5055150.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  45.5 KBName:  P5055151.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  37.4 KBName:  P5075174.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  35.5 KB
    Name:  P5225224.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  28.1 KB

    Check out the grain pattern in the nut. Now you know why they call it vegetable ivory.
    Speechless.
    "The sharpening stones from time to time provide officers with gasoline."

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Razorfeld For This Useful Post:

    HARRYWALLY (05-22-2017)

  9. #5
    Senior Member evnpar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,876
    Thanked: 287

    Default

    Beautiful work, Andrew. I especially like the Tagua nut--very unique, but I also like the grain pattern on the Bacote. Richard will love them.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to evnpar For This Useful Post:

    HARRYWALLY (05-22-2017)

  11. #6
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    18,602
    Thanked: 5980

    Default

    Bravo!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to sharptonn For This Useful Post:

    HARRYWALLY (05-22-2017)

  13. #7
    I love Burls....... and Acrylic HARRYWALLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baden, Ontario
    Posts
    5,221
    Thanked: 2089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evnpar View Post
    Beautiful work, Andrew. I especially like the Tagua nut--very unique, but I also like the grain pattern on the Bacote. Richard will love them.
    It's tough with the tagua nut. It has a hollow centre that can be a pain. As long as you don't cut too deeply into the centre you wont get into the void. Even on this one I got into some of the natural cracks. Nothing some epoxy couldn't take care of though.
    Geezer and 32t like this.
    Burls, Girls, and all things that Swirl....

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to HARRYWALLY For This Useful Post:

    32t (05-23-2017)

  15. #8
    Senior Member petercp4e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Oakham, Ma.
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanked: 537

    Default

    Two awesome brushes.
    More importantly, two wonderful gestures on the part of two great members.
    That exemplifies what this forum is all about.
    Congratulations to you both!

    Pete <:-}
    "Life is short, Break the Rules. Forgive quickly, Kiss Slowly,
    Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile." - Mark Twain

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petercp4e For This Useful Post:

    HARRYWALLY (05-22-2017), sharptonn (05-23-2017)

  17. #9
    Senior Member blabbermouth Thug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    2,446
    Thanked: 402

    Default

    Superb work as usual Andrew. Geezer will surely enjoy those brushes.

    I'm surprised that a nut that small managed to stay glued during the turning process.
    Tony
    https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Thug For This Useful Post:

    HARRYWALLY (05-22-2017)

  19. #10
    I love Burls....... and Acrylic HARRYWALLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baden, Ontario
    Posts
    5,221
    Thanked: 2089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thug View Post
    Superb work as usual Andrew. Geezer will surely enjoy those brushes.

    I'm surprised that a nut that small managed to stay glued during the turning process.
    Thanks Tony. I use real good glue.
    Burls, Girls, and all things that Swirl....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •