Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Iwasaki Tamahagane -Custom restore

  1. #1
    I used Nakayamas for my house mainaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    8,483
    Thanked: 2508
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Iwasaki Tamahagane -Custom restore

    This razor was sent to me by one of our members for a restore and rescale because the original scales were warped and the razor was not closing in them at all.
    I buffed it to 600 greaseless, and polished the spine and the tang to near mirror finish.
    The scales are "Patriot" Kirinite with white acrylic wedge. I used brass pins with stainless washers to pin the razor together.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by mainaman; 10-15-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    Stefan

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to mainaman For This Useful Post:

    lz6 (10-19-2017)

  3. #2
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,546
    Thanked: 3482

    Default

    Now those are some beautiful scales.
    mainaman likes this.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hirlau For This Useful Post:

    mainaman (10-15-2017)

  5. #3
    I used Nakayamas for my house mainaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    8,483
    Thanked: 2508
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirlau View Post
    Now those are some beautiful scales.
    Thanks John, I was keeping the set for my Iwasaki, and now I know how it would look in that color
    Stefan

  6. #4
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,546
    Thanked: 3482

    Default

    Did you cut them yourself or can someone buy a set of scales all ready to be pinned?

  7. #5
    I used Nakayamas for my house mainaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    8,483
    Thanked: 2508
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirlau View Post
    Did you cut them yourself or can someone buy a set of scales all ready to be pinned?
    I cut them myself
    Hirlau likes this.
    Stefan

  8. #6
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,546
    Thanked: 3482

    Default

    If its worth your time, those things would surly sell.
    My restorations have been with wood scales only; even though I'm happy, it's a real job doing it with the set up I have, in a condo etc.

    Buying ready-to-set G10 or Kirinite would be nice.

  9. #7
    32t
    32t is offline
    Senior Member blabbermouth 32t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    3 miles west of randydance062449
    Posts
    5,739
    Thanked: 786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirlau View Post
    If its worth your time, those things would surly sell.
    My restorations have been with wood scales only; even though I'm happy, it's a real job doing it with the set up I have, in a condo etc.

    Buying ready-to-set G10 or Kirinite would be nice.
    The razor and scales look very nice!

    Hirlau's post brings up a good point that I have thought about many times.

    I for some reason dislike making scales. I can do it but....

    In the USA we like things custom all done by one person. But in the "Good old days " things were passed from craftsman to craftsman. Each learned their particular skill and things went from one to the other.

    An SRP factory with many divisions spread all around???

    I am going to have to start another thread about this.
    "Let fear push you. Not slow you down."

    Tim

  10. #8
    Senior Member evnpar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,885
    Thanked: 294

    Default

    Beautiful scales for a fantastic razor. Very well done. I think I'll be on the lookout for another Iwasaki than might be marked down because it needs new scales and a little polishing.
    mainaman likes this.
    Richard

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to evnpar For This Useful Post:

    mainaman (10-15-2017)

  12. #9
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,546
    Thanked: 3482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 32t View Post
    The razor and scales look very nice!

    Hirlau's post brings up a good point that I have thought about many times.

    I for some reason dislike making scales. I can do it but....

    In the USA we like things custom all done by one person. But in the "Good old days " things were passed from craftsman to craftsman. Each learned their particular skill and things went from one to the other.

    An SRP factory with many divisions spread all around???

    I am going to have to start another thread about this.
    Purchasing a nice set of scales where all I have to do is install the washers & pivot pin, that's the thing for me.
    *

  13. #10
    Senior Member KsStraightShaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Wichita ks
    Posts
    271
    Thanked: 27

    Default

    Let me tart by saying I am not taking away from your work or craftsmanship as the scales an wedge are excellent everything fits beautifully.

    That being said (an this is just preference) I would not have gone with the color combo of the sales or the brass. I would have simply stayed with all stainless and went more traditional black an white something like that ,but again that's just my preference an I am in no way taking away from the incredible job you did on that razor. Congrats on a great job an to the owner who now has a beautiful piece of work.
    mainaman and mglindo like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •