Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Wade & Butcher - Black Horn + stainless steel

  1. #11
    Senior Member JSmith1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Menominee,MI
    Posts
    1,579
    Thanked: 312

    Default

    Very nice. Goes together perfectly.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to JSmith1983 For This Useful Post:

    Undream (05-08-2012)

  3. #12
    Lookin like a crim baldy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coffs Harbour Australia, Home of the Big Banana
    Posts
    2,706
    Thanked: 1070

    Default

    Beautiful work Brad, love the wedge.
    Grant

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to baldy For This Useful Post:

    Undream (05-08-2012)

  5. #13
    Senior Member Nonstickron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edgewater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    114
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Watched all your videos, is the steel wedge done the same way as the bone?

  6. #14
    Brad Maggard Undream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Adrian, Michigan
    Posts
    878
    Thanked: 691

    Default

    Lol, not quite.. It is incredibly difficult to sand down stainless steel... I actually held the wedge by its sides with a pair of vice grips, and ground the tapered shape on my 2x72 grinder on a flat platen with an 80 grit belt. After the taper was there, I polished the inside edge (side facing the razor.. and then I pinned the razor, with the excess steel hanging out of the ends of the razor. I then ground off all the excess using my 2x72 again... all the way through 1200 grit belts...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonstickron View Post
    Watched all your videos, is the steel wedge done the same way as the bone?
    Cove5440 likes this.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Undream For This Useful Post:

    Cove5440 (06-08-2012)

  8. #15
    Vintage Scent shop clerk Leon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    1,023
    Thanked: 621

    Default

    Ver nice, Brad, as usual.

    One question though. Isn't the steel wedge too heavy? I mean when you open the razor, does it has a good balance?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leon For This Useful Post:

    Undream (05-08-2012)

  10. #16
    Brad Maggard Undream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Adrian, Michigan
    Posts
    878
    Thanked: 691

    Default

    I cut down on some weight by drilling a larger hole in wedge than necessary. But, to be honest that probably wasn't required.....it doesnt feel to heavy at all. If you think about it.. Lead is about 30% heavier than steel, and that is what is used in most vintage W&B razors... I make my scales very thin, about as thin as vintage ones. It really feels just like a vintage W&B in the hand...


    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Ver nice, Brad, as usual.

    One question though. Isn't the steel wedge too heavy? I mean when you open the razor, does it has a good balance?
    Cove5440 likes this.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Undream For This Useful Post:

    Cove5440 (06-08-2012)

  12. #17
    Historically Inquisitive Martin103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    5,925
    Thanked: 4182
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Very nice work, that wedge looks very classy! ready for another century!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin103 For This Useful Post:

    Undream (05-08-2012)

  14. #18
    Senior Member animalwithin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    245
    Thanked: 12

    Default

    Undream I must say you and your work are incredible. I can safely say I will be a customer of yours one day (hopefully soon!).

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to animalwithin For This Useful Post:

    Undream (05-08-2012)

  16. #19
    Senior Member mrbhagwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dale City, VA
    Posts
    574
    Thanked: 182

    Default

    Excellent work, as usual Brad, and thank you for this extremely useful tip. I have learned a lot from examining your work!


    Quote Originally Posted by Undream View Post
    Lol, not quite.. It is incredibly difficult to sand down stainless steel... I actually held the wedge by its sides with a pair of vice grips, and ground the tapered shape on my 2x72 grinder on a flat platen with an 80 grit belt. After the taper was there, I polished the inside edge (side facing the razor.. and then I pinned the razor, with the excess steel hanging out of the ends of the razor. I then ground off all the excess using my 2x72 again... all the way through 1200 grit belts...

  17. #20
    Kenneth
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Juan PR
    Posts
    175
    Thanked: 15

    Default

    Real nice work. Scales work real nice and the stainless wedge give a nice but strong touch.

    K

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •