Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: General advice

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default General advice

    Hey everyone,

    I posted an indroduction in another thread, but I thought I should introduce myself quickly here and ask what stupid question I may have.

    So at the moment I have been using a shavette for a month and a bit, eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first straight. I have all the starting supplies I believe I need (badger brush, cheap bowl I found in the kitchen, razor, soap, cream, styptic pencil because lets be honest, 2 strops one for every shave and one to put paste onto, and proraso aftershave which I love the smell of). So I think I am good in that regard.

    However; I was wondering for future knowledge, if there is anyone in Melbourne who hones razors? At the moment I can not really afford my own stones and risk stuffing up a razor.

    Also, if I was able to get a single honing stone, which one would be a good single stone to have?

    Does anyone have any hidden gems of places to buy supplies from at a reasonable price?

    And finally (for now anyway) has anyone had any problems importing razors? Or any other legal issues that may arise such as traveling with one.

    Cheers in advance
    Mark


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Troy Alabama
    Posts
    244
    Thanked: 35

    Default

    I believe cheapest and safest best would be Norton 4k/8k
    You can go for a coticule, same price as norton 4k/8k can give you an okay size stone but smaller than norton and might be a bit harder to learn. Really need to make sure you get a nice coti though
    Jnat I believe you could get one for around norton price and it be okay price as well. Japanese chef knife. Sharpening stone. Razor strop. Japanese Razor Is a good place to look. You could buy a stone that isn't insane finisher but really good for touching up razor.
    What would probably be easiest for you is to buy Naniwa super stone 8k and 12k. 8k for touching up and 12k for finishing. Can get a 5k for another 60 I believe. Stones are big and reliable

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian1 View Post
    I believe cheapest and safest best would be Norton 4k/8k
    You can go for a coticule, same price as norton 4k/8k can give you an okay size stone but smaller than norton and might be a bit harder to learn. Really need to make sure you get a nice coti though
    Jnat I believe you could get one for around norton price and it be okay price as well. Japanese chef knife. Sharpening stone. Razor strop. Japanese Razor Is a good place to look. You could buy a stone that isn't insane finisher but really good for touching up razor.
    What would probably be easiest for you is to buy Naniwa super stone 8k and 12k. 8k for touching up and 12k for finishing. Can get a 5k for another 60 I believe. Stones are big and reliable
    Hey Christian1,

    Thanks for the help. That definitely gives me a few different options for stones. It looks like the norton seems to be the most reasonable price from the get go. I'll just have to find somewhere that will ship to Aus.

    Shame that all this is so expensive because I think more people would use straights if they could afford it.

    Cheers
    Mark


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Senior Member ZipZop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    647
    Thanked: 147

    Default

    Aloha!

    I agree on the Norton 4/8k. Looks like you are set for your first attempt. You may want to follow Lynn Abram's advice from here on SRP. He has a stellar video that highlights the very FIRST pass on your face for a noob with a straight razor and when to STOP on your first attempt. I totally agree with him on this. One step at a time. Don't push it on th first attempt. He also shows the difference between a Straight Razor and a Shavette angle of attack. This may be very useful to you coming from a Shavette and migrating toward a straight blade.

    Regarding honing, I am just getting into doing it myself and for years have had a guy in Hawaii that hones for me. I'm sure you can find a person to hone a razor for you in Melbourne. Lots of gentlemen prefer NOT to hone themselves, so you are not alone if you choose this path. I sent my razors out for honing for decades.

    Lynn's Video if you have not seen it;



    Mahalo!

    -Zip
    Last edited by ZipZop; 06-21-2017 at 02:14 AM.
    dinnermint likes this.
    "I get some lather and lather-up, then I get my razor and shave! Zip Zop, see that? My face Is ripped to shreads!" - Bill Cosby on Shaving

  5. #5
    Senior Member blabbermouth tcrideshd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Oakland Tn
    Posts
    4,121
    Thanked: 963

    Default

    pm Onimaru (Oz) he hones ,, to answer your question or do a search in the area there are few guys In Oz get them done till your comfortable then either get a 4/8 Norton or 3/8 naniwa Tc
    dinnermint likes this.
    Ever wonder why you never see a motorcycle in front of a Shrinks office? ,,,,, then you have never ridden one "

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZipZop View Post
    Aloha!

    I agree on the Norton 4/8k. Looks like you are set for your first attempt. You may want to follow Lynn Abram's advice from here on SRP. He has a stellar video that highlights the very FIRST pass on your face for a noob with a straight razor and when to STOP on your first attempt. I totally agree with him on this. One step at a time. Don't push it on th first attempt. He also shows the difference between a Straight Razor and a Shavette angle of attack. This may be very useful to you coming from a Shavette and migrating toward a straight blade.

    Regarding honing, I am just getting into doing it myself and for years have had a guy in Hawaii that hones for me. I'm sure you can find a person to hone a razor for you in Melbourne. Lots of gentlemen prefer NOT to hone themselves, so you are not alone if you choose this path. I sent my razors out for honing for decades.

    Lynn's Video if you have not seen it;



    Mahalo!

    -Zip
    G'day Zip,

    Thanks for that video, it was really insightful and taught me a lot about angles and grip and position etc. I like the way it was done to, like he was not talking down to anyone.

    Cheers
    Mark


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ZipZop likes this.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcrideshd View Post
    pm Onimaru (Oz) he hones ,, to answer your question or do a search in the area there are few guys In Oz get them done till your comfortable then either get a 4/8 Norton or 3/8 naniwa Tc
    Hey tcrideshd,

    Thanks for that. I'll get onto that now. I prob won't need it done for a while, so I am getting a bit ahead of myself but I do like being prepared

    Cheers
    Mark


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Senior Member dinnermint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,670
    Thanked: 334

    Default

    I second the 4/8. However, is the razor shave ready to begin with? It will help alot.

    Also, leave the secpnd strop with out paste for now. Many beginners butcher their strops, so having one to learn on and a second to keep in good nick until you have the stropping memory down.

    Best of luck!
    Havachat45 likes this.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dinnermint View Post
    I second the 4/8. However, is the razor shave ready to begin with? It will help alot.

    Also, leave the secpnd strop with out paste for now. Many beginners butcher their strops, so having one to learn on and a second to keep in good nick until you have the stropping memory down.

    Best of luck!
    Hey dinnermint,

    Yeah the razor is shave ready so I am not to worried about that

    Yeah I was given the advice to not buy a really expensive strop straight away as I will probably take chunks out of it being a noob. I got the second one because I read that you should not use paste on the strop you use every day. Could be wrong, but even if I was it was not a huge waste of money

    Cheers
    Mark


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dinnermint likes this.

  10. #10
    The Great & Powerful Oz onimaru55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    13,883
    Thanked: 3288

    Default

    Welcome to the 'Place' Mark.

    Nicking your strop can be totally avoided. I suggest you practice on a single sheet of news paper. That way you will save on leather & honing fees.
    Any angular nicks in leather will fold the edge at the contact point.
    Those in the room who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •