Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By Bruno
  • 1 Post By Bruno
  • 1 Post By mglindo

Thread: My old charcoal forge

  1. #1
    Admin & Forum fixer Bruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    13,809
    Thanked: 3982
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default My old charcoal forge

    Before I destroy it to make room for my new propane forge build, I wanted to show people my old charcoal forge. This is very easy to make, and very cheap as well. In my opinion, if you don't have access to an existing forge, this is a good way for a beginner to start.

    spazola, rodb, lz6 and 7 others like this.
    Happiness is a field, littered with the mangled corpses of your enemies. - Vlad III of Wallachia

  2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bruno For This Useful Post:

    bluesman7 (05-06-2017), Geezer (05-06-2017), Hirlau (05-06-2017), lz6 (05-06-2017), Mrchick (05-06-2017), RezDog (05-06-2017), rodb (05-06-2017), spazola (05-06-2017)

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bryan, TX
    Posts
    1,094
    Thanked: 192

    Default

    Just shows what one can do with a little ingenuity!


    Mike

  4. #3
    Admin & Forum fixer Bruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    13,809
    Thanked: 3982
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Charcoal works perfectly for normal forging. But managiing the interal hotspot at forge welding Heat is tricky I've burned steel more than once, including wootz. I did that wootz and damascus composite in this charcoal fire. But it was nerve wrecking and i don't want to continue this hassle. Especially since my next projects will feature wootz from alfred pendray
    Mrchick likes this.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bryan, TX
    Posts
    1,094
    Thanked: 192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Charcoal works perfectly for normal forging. But managiing the interal hotspot at forge welding Heat is tricky I've burned steel more than once, including wootz. I did that wootz and damascus composite in this charcoal fire. But it was nerve wrecking and i don't want to continue this hassle. Especially since my next projects will feature wootz from alfred pendray
    That would definitely be one I would like to see! Would the steel look the same as the other wootz steel, or would it have a different look to it?

    Mike

  6. #5
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,410
    Thanked: 3449

    Default

    Was my machete forged in there?

  7. #6
    Admin & Forum fixer Bruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    13,809
    Thanked: 3982
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mglindo View Post
    That would definitely be one I would like to see! Would the steel look the same as the other wootz steel, or would it have a different look to it?

    Mike
    To be honest I don't know yet. There are only 3 other razors made from that steel, and none of them were really polished and etched to bring out the best pattern possible. That is no disrespect to whoever etched them. Wootz is muy different from other steels when it comes to etching. The timing is good as well. I always said I'd never forge Pendray wootz in charcoal because of the risk.

    2 weeks after I decide to build a new propane setup, that suddenly happens
    Happiness is a field, littered with the mangled corpses of your enemies. - Vlad III of Wallachia

  8. #7
    Admin & Forum fixer Bruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    13,809
    Thanked: 3982
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirlau View Post
    Was my machete forged in there?
    Tbh I don't know. I rebuilt that forge at least 3 times over the past couple of years. First it was an old round bbq that I built like that, and then it was this one that got rebuilt a couple of times.
    Happiness is a field, littered with the mangled corpses of your enemies. - Vlad III of Wallachia

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruno For This Useful Post:

    Hirlau (05-06-2017)

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bryan, TX
    Posts
    1,094
    Thanked: 192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    To be honest I don't know yet. There are only 3 other razors made from that steel, and none of them were really polished and etched to bring out the best pattern possible. That is no disrespect to whoever etched them. Wootz is muy different from other steels when it comes to etching. The timing is good as well. I always said I'd never forge Pendray wootz in charcoal because of the risk.

    2 weeks after I decide to build a new propane setup, that suddenly happens
    That is so cool. I may want to have one of those Damascus/Wootz razors made for me sometime this year. The ones you made recently sure had me drooling. Heck, maybe one with Pendray steel although that will sure be pricey I'll bet. I told the wife I would definitely stop there if I got one of them. Probably.


    Mike
    Mrchick likes this.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •