Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Not a coticule... I think?

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    93
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    You did good! That is a barbers delight for sure. The best quality from Escher and most expensive per gram by far. Don't worry about it not having the label you have the most important part and in excelent condition to boot. Nice find!
    Steel, Slawman and xiaotuzi like this.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toroblanco For This Useful Post:

    xiaotuzi (12-05-2017)

  3. #12
    Senior Member Brontosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    La Lorraine, France
    Posts
    425
    Thanked: 71

    Default

    That backside does look like one of those mottled pieces that hatzicho was offering a while back. Nice combo! I'm envious.
    xiaotuzi likes this.
    Striving to be brief, I become obscure. --Horace

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brontosaurus For This Useful Post:

    xiaotuzi (12-05-2017)

  5. #13
    Senior Member blabbermouth outback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    6,535
    Thanked: 2411

    Default

    Nice find Tuzi.!
    So...with all these rocks you've found this year, do we call you Rocket, stoneman, chip.!?
    You've accumulated a small quarry, you know.
    xiaotuzi likes this.
    Mike

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to outback For This Useful Post:

    xiaotuzi (12-05-2017)

  7. #14
    JP5
    JP5 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Duluth, GA - Atlanta OTP North
    Posts
    703
    Thanked: 64

    Default

    Nice find! Never used a thuri before or shaved off one, but with all the good comments I really wish I could find one.
    The online prices are crazy.
    xiaotuzi likes this.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to JP5 For This Useful Post:

    xiaotuzi (12-05-2017)

  9. #15
    Senior Member hatzicho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    457
    Thanked: 850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
    That backside does look like one of those mottled pieces that hatzicho was offering a while back. Nice combo! I'm envious.
    No the black mottled hones come from a total different quarry and even from total different rock age (there are some million years between them).
    Not sure if it is a yellow green combination or a ligth green/ blue hone. Both variants exist.
    Put the slurry on a black background. If it then shines yellow - it is a yg one, if the slurry looks simply white, it is a lght green layer.
    Brontosaurus and xiaotuzi like this.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hatzicho For This Useful Post:

    Brontosaurus (12-05-2017), Matt1222 (12-07-2017), xiaotuzi (12-06-2017)

  11. #16
    Senior Member Brontosaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    La Lorraine, France
    Posts
    425
    Thanked: 71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hatzicho View Post
    No the black mottled hones come from a total different quarry and even from total different rock age (there are some million years between them).
    I don't want to contest your knowledge of the subject, and I'm away from the black mottled piece you sold me a while back (I believe you described it as being "from a special quarry which was owned by the late Escher company" with behavior like a Schwedenstein), but in looking at the pictures of it just now, I still think the backside of this combo looks similar (not that it is the same).
    hatzicho likes this.
    Striving to be brief, I become obscure. --Horace

  12. #17
    Senior Member hatzicho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    457
    Thanked: 850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
    I don't want to contest your knowledge of the subject, and I'm away from the black mottled piece you sold me a while back (I believe you described it as being "from a special quarry which was owned by the late Escher company" with behavior like a Schwedenstein), but in looking at the pictures of it just now, I still think the backside of this combo looks similar (not that it is the same).
    No problem, I just want to clarify the issue.
    Because if people are not reading carefully, the next request I get is ... can I have a natural combo between a yg and a black mottled thuringian please....

    Regards Peter
    MODINE likes this.

  13. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Armonk, NY
    Posts
    271
    Thanked: 26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hatzicho View Post
    Put the slurry on a black background. If it then shines yellow - it is a yg one, if the slurry looks simply white, it is a lght green layer.
    Thank you for this color determination tip! It is one of the more difficult things I've found about Thuringians (distinguishing between light and yellow/green stones).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •