Page 161 of 195 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 1949
Like Tree12257Likes

Thread: Hone of the Day

  1. #1601
    Senior Member Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanked: 344

    Default Mr Greaves goes to Arkansas

    I recently purchased this Sheaf Works- W. Greaves razor for about $13 and restored it and honed it. I set the bevel on a Washita stone and then went to a soft Arkansas for about 60 strokes. I jumped straight to my Surgical Black and progressed from plain water to ballistol oil (similar but backwards to using mud) and finished off with a couple hundred X strokes.

    I just shaved and it was a remarkable shave. Wonderful steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    What a curse be a dull razor; what a prideful comfort a sharp one

  2. #1602
    Senior Member blabbermouth tcrideshd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Oakland Tn
    Posts
    4,120
    Thanked: 962

    Default

    that is a nice hunk of rock,,,,where did you get that? TC
    Ever wonder why you never see a motorcycle in front of a Shrinks office? ,,,,, then you have never ridden one "

  3. #1603
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    35
    Thanked: 7

    Default

    Name:  IMG_0170.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  41.7 KB

    WB Celebrated Hollow Ground. Start to finish. DMT bbw coticule Arkansas.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to EdwinHMcBride For This Useful Post:

    Steel (05-20-2017)

  5. #1604
    Senior Member Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanked: 344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcrideshd View Post
    that is a nice hunk of rock,,,,where did you get that? TC
    Thanks TC. I got it special order from Dan's Whetstone. Their production manager kept an eye out and after a few tries he came across this one. It came flat and has enough real estate to get a bit of a work out while hand honing :-).
    What a curse be a dull razor; what a prideful comfort a sharp one

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Steel For This Useful Post:

    tcrideshd (05-27-2017)

  7. #1605
    Modine MODINE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lee's Summit, Missouri- (KC)
    Posts
    1,355
    Thanked: 477

    Default

    Glamour shot of Vintage Red Imp finished on Y/G Thuri.
    MIke


  8. #1606
    barba crescit caput nescit Phrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    8,905
    Thanked: 2236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MODINE View Post
    Glamour shot of Vintage Red Imp finished on Y/G Thuri.
    MIke

    Nice...been taking quite a few razors to the Y/G Escher Barber's Delight, getting the feel for it, Peter found me a perfect Barber's Delight two sides slurry stone, arrived from Germany last week.

    What's your routine using the Y/G to finish / refresh a razor...would very much appreciate the info.

    Thanks

  9. #1607
    Maruka Shaman of West London JOB15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,436
    Thanked: 138

    Default

    Last week I did my 7/8ths W&B, 1/5/10k Chosera / 16k Shapton / Blue Green Escher.

    Shaved the other day off it and it was amazing . Baby smooth , one handed fools pass, everything was perfect .
    However I know a full progression on my Nakayama can top that.

    Today I killed edge (I'm evil) , set the bevel on the 1k and did the full progression finishing with a Tomo which is the hardest rock on earth.
    Get it anywhere near the Nakayama and it will scratch it.
    So I use a DMT card and it takes some time to get a weak slurry from it and transfer it to my Nakayama.

    The end result is special , it cuts any tree top hair on my leg that comes into contact with it..
    Roll on Tue/Wed when I can shave with it

    Name:  IMAG0757.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  35.5 KB
    Maruka Kingpin of England

  10. #1608
    Senior Member blabbermouth outback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    6,145
    Thanked: 2206

    Default

    Brought this one back into service yesterday with a quick clean up, and a set of used scales. Then a skip across the 1000 Chosera, some time on a Washita, finishing on a Coti.

    From there it went to a Cr/ox pasted strop for 20 passes, leaded linen, Red Latigo, Bridle, and finished w/100 on Roo.

    Took a single WTG pass for a test shave, no prep just wet, lather, and test.
    Very smooth I may add, but a full shave is needed, morning shall hold the truth, but being a Boker, I'll need not.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to outback For This Useful Post:

    dinnermint (05-26-2017)

  12. #1609
    Senior Member xiaotuzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 1085

    Default

    The hone gods have smiled on me lately, and over the course of three days I found these hones locally, and dirt cheap. In each case I didn't know exactly what I had until I brought them home and cleaned them up. The coticule and the thuringian I bought as part of a box of dirty hones out of someone's garage and the Tam-O-Shanter and Water of Ayr I found at an antiques market two days later just sitting together in a coffee can on one of the tables.
    Name:  IMG_2171.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  58.3 KB

    I just got the chance to try them out tonight on a Wade & Butcher that had been tugging lately. I lightly killed the edge and set a new bevel on the coti with slurry, diluting as I progressed. I could tell that the coticule is going to be an excellent finisher and was tempted to go the distance. This one feels really great!

    But before I went to far on the coti I switched to the Tam with straight water. It was my first time using a Tam-o-Shanter. I found that I either needed to go a little further on the coti with slurry, or slurry the Tam, so I slurried the Tam for a while then diluted.

    Then I tried out the Water of Ayr (first time for this type of hone too). I instantly fell in love with the silky feedback. I stayed on that for a while and I could have had a wonderful shave finishing there I think. But I wanted to bring the thuri into it so I spent a little while on that stone with a very light slurry, then clear.

    I couldn't wait until the morning so I just had a go with it and am very pleased! A nice comfortable, close shave without irritation, a great feel to the edge. I will do more experiments with these hones in the coming days. I want to feel the shave off the coticule (what a terrific feel this one has!) and also straight off the Water of Ayr. Happy honing, gentlemen!
    "Go easy"

  13. #1610
    Senior Member blabbermouth outback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    6,145
    Thanked: 2206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xiaotuzi View Post
    The hone gods have smiled on me lately, and over the course of three days I found these hones locally, and dirt cheap. In each case I didn't know exactly what I had until I brought them home and cleaned them up. The coticule and the thuringian I bought as part of a box of dirty hones out of someone's garage and the Tam-O-Shanter and Water of Ayr I found at an antiques market two days later just sitting together in a coffee can on one of the tables.
    Name:  IMG_2171.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  58.3 KB

    I just got the chance to try them out tonight on a Wade & Butcher that had been tugging lately. I lightly killed the edge and set a new bevel on the coti with slurry, diluting as I progressed. I could tell that the coticule is going to be an excellent finisher and was tempted to go the distance. This one feels really great!

    But before I went to far on the coti I switched to the Tam with straight water. It was my first time using a Tam-o-Shanter. I found that I either needed to go a little further on the coti with slurry, or slurry the Tam, so I slurried the Tam for a while then diluted.

    Then I tried out the Water of Ayr (first time for this type of hone too). I instantly fell in love with the silky feedback. I stayed on that for a while and I could have had a wonderful shave finishing there I think. But I wanted to bring the thuri into it so I spent a little while on that stone with a very light slurry, then clear.

    I couldn't wait until the morning so I just had a go with it and am very pleased! A nice comfortable, close shave without irritation, a great feel to the edge. I will do more experiments with these hones in the coming days. I want to feel the shave off the coticule (what a terrific feel this one has!) and also straight off the Water of Ayr. Happy honing, gentlemen!
    Made my mouth water
    Mike

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •