Page 78 of 131 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 1310
Like Tree7578Likes

Thread: Hone of the Day

  1. #771
    Senior Member celticcrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil South Wales UK.
    Posts
    3,419
    Thanked: 835

    Default

    Two oldies in today five in tomorrow, no honing Sunday the weather looks to be good for a nice 8 or 10 miler into the Brecon Beacons with the Mrs and my Bedlington Terriers.

    “Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there, and finding it.”

  2. #772
    Senior Member celticcrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil South Wales UK.
    Posts
    3,419
    Thanked: 835

    Default

    A further 5 arrived this morning I'll start on them after lunch, they all look like a pretty decent bunch can't see there being any problems.

    “Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there, and finding it.”

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to celticcrusader For This Useful Post:

    aaron1234 (04-16-2016)

  4. #773
    Senior Member Johntoad57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    323
    Thanked: 99

    Default

    What do you need electrical tape for?
    Semper Fi !

    John

  5. #774
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    714
    Thanked: 127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johntoad57 View Post
    What do you need electrical tape for?
    To protect a gold washed spine or to slightly alter the bevel angle.

  6. #775
    Senior Member Johntoad57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    323
    Thanked: 99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benz View Post
    To protect a gold washed spine or to slightly alter the bevel angle.
    Okay I see. You just cover up the writing with tape so I doesn't come off. Why would you want to change the angle of the bevel? I don't know about those things yet...
    Semper Fi !

    John

  7. #776
    Senior Member Johntoad57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    323
    Thanked: 99

    Default

    Okay, went to the library and read about this. I never knew. Glad I saw the pictures and asked questions. Getting a little smarter everyday!!!

    Watch your defense

    Some like to shield the spine from the hone, by adding a layer of tape. In general, electrical insulation tape works best for this. As explained above, the application of tape also alters the honing angle, so you need to keep record of it. Once a razor is honed with tape, it needs to be rehoned with tape, or it’s bevel needs to be reset. If a razor asks for heavy bevel work, and you plan on using some extra pressure to speed up the process, it’s best to add two layers of extra tape. Hence 3 layers if you planned on honing with 1 layer of tape and 2 layers if you planned to hone without tape. This will counteract the widening of the bevel sides, that occurs when you flex the blade a bit by pushing it down on the hones. As soon as you decide to back off on the pressure, the tape can be removed, at which point you’d have some extra work to set the correct angle. This is only recommended if you need to rebuild a large part of the bevel. Normally it is better to stick with the regular low, lower and lowest pressure.
    Semper Fi !

    John

  8. #777
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    714
    Thanked: 127

    Default

    The best way to explain it, is to watch gssixgun's honing videos on youtube. I recently honed two Double Ducks for my cousin that were mint and had no hone wear. His request was to tape the spines to preserve them and show no hone wear. I did as he asked. Anyway watch gssixgun's videos, they are VERY informative.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benz For This Useful Post:

    Johntoad57 (04-17-2016)

  10. #778
    32t
    32t is offline
    Senior Member blabbermouth 32t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    3 miles west of randydance062449
    Posts
    4,700
    Thanked: 566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johntoad57 View Post
    Okay, went to the library and read about this. I never knew. Glad I saw the pictures and asked questions. Getting a little smarter everyday!!!

    Watch your defense

    Some like to shield the spine from the hone, by adding a layer of tape. In general, electrical insulation tape works best for this. As explained above, the application of tape also alters the honing angle, so you need to keep record of it. Once a razor is honed with tape, it needs to be rehoned with tape, or it’s bevel needs to be reset. If a razor asks for heavy bevel work, and you plan on using some extra pressure to speed up the process, it’s best to add two layers of extra tape. Hence 3 layers if you planned on honing with 1 layer of tape and 2 layers if you planned to hone without tape. This will counteract the widening of the bevel sides, that occurs when you flex the blade a bit by pushing it down on the hones. As soon as you decide to back off on the pressure, the tape can be removed, at which point you’d have some extra work to set the correct angle. This is only recommended if you need to rebuild a large part of the bevel. Normally it is better to stick with the regular low, lower and lowest pressure.
    If all else fails read the instructions.....

  11. #779
    Senior Member Johntoad57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    323
    Thanked: 99

    Default

    Great video by gssixgun on honing with tape or without tape. 1K with tape and 5K w/o tape. Just so I'm clear - If you hone your razors with tape and it's time to refresh, you must continue to use tape or you will have to reset the bevel if you don't use tape? I think that's what I heard him say. My confidence level on honing is still developing...
    Semper Fi !

    John

  12. #780
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    714
    Thanked: 127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johntoad57 View Post
    Great video by gssixgun on honing with tape or without tape. 1K with tape and 5K w/o tape. Just so I'm clear - If you hone your razors with tape and it's time to refresh, you must continue to use tape or you will have to reset the bevel if you don't use tape? I think that's what I heard him say. My confidence level on honing is still developing...
    Yep, if my cousin wants to refresh those Ducks on the hones he will have to use the same tape I did or else he will have to start all over from scratch with a bevel set.
    Druid likes this.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •