Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Problem honing

  1. #1
    Senior Member Chugach68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    570
    Thanked: 57

    Default Problem honing

    Has anyone had a razor that you have honed in the past, but for whatever reason, have issues come up trying to hone again?

    I have a Hartsteel that I have successfully honed and had great results and shaves with. An unfortunate circumstance came up that caused me to have to "clean up the blade", and ended up dulling it in the process. I have tried for about a year off and on to get it back to a usable edge. Getting frustrated and putting it away for a while but eventually bringing it back out only to get frustrated again. Well, after all this, I finally got it back to a usable edge. I don't think it is as good as I got it originally but it is comfortable and gives me a nice smooth shave.

    No other razor has given me such a headache and I am glad it is usable again as I love the way this heavy blade shaves.

    I will use it as is until it needs a touch up and hopefully my "issue" with it is over.
    I choose death before dishonor
    I'd rather die than live down on my knees

  2. #2
    Senior Member rodb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    2,580
    Thanked: 391

    Default

    I've had a few that just don't like to be honed and I have to set them aside for a bit to save my own sanity lol!! Maybe the Hart has real hard steel and it just takes more time
    Chugach68 likes this.

  3. #3
    Maruka Shaman of West London JOB15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,460
    Thanked: 145

    Default

    Hart Steel can be very awkward although I have one that literally hones itself.

    Most issues are at the bevel set.

    Set it gently and just about set it.

    Try to set it with the least jagged edge.
    Chugach68, Steel and Dieseld like this.
    Maruka Kingpin of England

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    I'm a newbie here, so for interest's sake-what stone/stones are you using & what do you use to strop?

  5. #5
    Senior Member kelbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Desert Southwest, USA
    Posts
    1,134
    Thanked: 155

    Default

    Not to worry. All of my Hart steel razors took some effort to get them where I like them, edge-wise. Pretty hard steel.
    Chugach68 likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    326
    Thanked: 88

    Default

    I have one Hart Steel razor and it is the most difficult to hone of my collection. I t took me many ours of experimentation before I could get a decent edge. Finally I got a decent edge using a double bevel.

    I first set the bevel without tape on a 1K. Then I completed the full honing sequence. Then I taped the spine and went back to 5K and set the second bevel and finished off the razor with tape all the way through my final finishing hone. It was a lot of effort, but it finally gives a decent shave. Good luck!
    Chugach68 likes this.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to RayClem For This Useful Post:

    FOTOPAT (09-23-2017)

  8. #7
    Senior Member JTmke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    1,331
    Thanked: 172

    Default

    My Hart razor takes a bit of extra care honing. A few extra strokes and more added as each stone gets finer. In the end it holds the edge for a very long time and yes, I Like the heavy blade.

    Have you tried the pyramid method especially near or at the finishing stage?
    Chugach68 and Dieseld like this.
    "The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas." -Linus Pauling

  9. #8
    Senior Member Chugach68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    570
    Thanked: 57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FOTOPAT View Post
    I'm a newbie here, so for interest's sake-what stone/stones are you using & what do you use to strop?
    I have Norton 1k, 4k, 8k and a c12k.
    I choose death before dishonor
    I'd rather die than live down on my knees

  10. #9
    Senior Member Chugach68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    570
    Thanked: 57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayClem View Post
    I have one Hart Steel razor and it is the most difficult to hone of my collection. I t took me many ours of experimentation before I could get a decent edge. Finally I got a decent edge using a double bevel.

    I first set the bevel without tape on a 1K. Then I completed the full honing sequence. Then I taped the spine and went back to 5K and set the second bevel and finished off the razor with tape all the way through my final finishing hone. It was a lot of effort, but it finally gives a decent shave. Good luck!
    I ended up with a double bevel on mine as well.
    I choose death before dishonor
    I'd rather die than live down on my knees

  11. #10
    Senior Member Chugach68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    570
    Thanked: 57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTmke View Post
    My Hart razor takes a bit of extra care honing. A few extra strokes and more added as each stone gets finer. In the end it holds the edge for a very long time and yes, I Like the heavy blade.

    Have you tried the pyramid method especially near or at the finishing stage?
    I have not tried the pyramid. The long life of the edge is a plus that I have noticed as well.
    I choose death before dishonor
    I'd rather die than live down on my knees

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •