Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member isshou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 4

    Default kamisori handles rattan / ivy skin

    Hi,

    Some time ago, I bought myself an iwasaki kamisori, however I have been reluctant to use it, because as it comes without any proper handle ( just the raw steel), I don't feel comfortable at all.

    Looking around SRP / Internet I have seen some people just use a blue plastic tosuke handle to them, others, and this is the more traditional method wrap the handle with some rattan. So far I have found some one on e-bay who sells the rattan for it, but does any body know the proper way to wrap the handle ?, as far as I have seen there seems to be different drawings that could be done with the rattan,
    any Internet pointers / vids / manuals on how to wrap a kamisori handle ?

    thanks in advance,

  2. #2
    . Bill S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Richfield, Ohio
    Posts
    2,521
    Thanked: 597

    Default

    Hopefully Lynn will see this thread and chime in. He just had a couple of razors wrapped with rattan (I think). I have seen them in person and they look great. He might be able to post a picture and give you some direction.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill S For This Useful Post:

    isshou (10-20-2009)

  4. #3
    Shavling JokiJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    317
    Thanked: 35

    Default

    BWAHAHAHAHA!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to JokiJo For This Useful Post:

    isshou (10-20-2009)

  6. #4
    is Over 9000!!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    679
    Thanked: 326

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by isshou View Post
    Hi,

    Some time ago, I bought myself an iwasaki kamisori, however I have been reluctant to use it, because as it comes without any proper handle ( just the raw steel), I don't feel comfortable at all.

    Looking around SRP / Internet I have seen some people just use a blue plastic tosuke handle to them, others, and this is the more traditional method wrap the handle with some rattan. So far I have found some one on e-bay who sells the rattan for it, but does any body know the proper way to wrap the handle ?, as far as I have seen there seems to be different drawings that could be done with the rattan,
    any Internet pointers / vids / manuals on how to wrap a kamisori handle ?

    thanks in advance,
    OLD_SCHOOL is one I could think of who's done rattan recently:

    First Restoration - Japanese Razors. - Straight Razor Place Forums

    I posted this on another thread here and figure you might be able to make use of it:


    Look into these awesome threads:

    Razor:

    http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/razors/40960-italy-vs-japan-lengthy.html



    So my Iwasaki razor arrived...now what? - Straight Razor Place Forums

    Tosuke Japanese Straight Razor - Straight Razor Place Forums

    Honing a Japanese Straight - Straight Razor Place Forums

    http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/razors/35058-japanese-razor-profiles.html

    http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/razors/35204-japanese-razor-part-names.html

    My first Japanese Razor - Straight Razor Place Forums

    Japanese Razors - Straight Razor Place Forums

    iwasaki - Straight Razor Place Forums

    Japanese Razors - Straight Razor Place Forums

    Tamahagane Razors? - Straight Razor Place Forums

    Honing:

    http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/honing/41227-two-worst-honing-videos-evar.html

    http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/honing/40957-honing-lesson-my-barber.html

    Pyramid Honing - Straight Razor Place Forums

    http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/honing/25623-sharpening-wakamisori.html

    Honing: Advance

    http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/advanced-honing-topics/23775-tales-nippon-honing-miracle-worker.html

    Livi's Honing Setup - Straight Razor Place Forums

    These are but a few I have. I didn't feel it necessary to link you 70 some honing threads/

    isshou -

    There's nothing wrong shaving with raw steel.
    By sheathin it with rattan or handle of some kind, you're only disguising true beauty of being able to shave with raw steel handle. But that's subjective. I still like the look of rattan wraps as it certainly does give it flair. You're main concern if I'm to surmise is that it may slip out of your hands.

    I've only been shaving well over month and in no way an expert as I've still more to learn. I've nicked myself more with a western SR than Japanese ( JDM ) razor. Only once did I nick myself with Iwasaki but that's because I tried to shave the wrong way for kicks on mustache area and thus nicked myself. :hammer:

    So far having shaved with it twice no nicks. Simply put, it's best shaver one can have compared to any western SRs. However this is my experience. Take what i said at grain of salt because I'm n00b.

    Talk to Lynn, JimR, or OS when it comes to shaving with J-spec razor. I'm sure there are many others I'm leaving out. But you can't go wrong with the 3 I mentioned.

    Best of luck mate

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to SiRed8 For This Useful Post:

    isshou (10-20-2009)

  8. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    249
    Thanked: 37

    Default

    I picked up a tosuke handle for my iwasaki. They are cheesey looking but work great. When I bought the handle I had to buy three so I have extras. Drop me a PM if youare interested in a cheesey looking blue handle.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to CraigJ For This Useful Post:

    isshou (10-20-2009)

  10. #6
    Senior Member blabbermouth JimR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,743
    Thanked: 1010
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    I picked up a tosuke handle for my iwasaki. They are cheesey looking but work great. When I bought the handle I had to buy three so I have extras. Drop me a PM if youare interested in a cheesey looking blue handle.

    Yes, they look cheesy. Yes, they make it easier to shave....

    Where'd you pick them up, if I may ask?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

    isshou (10-20-2009)

  12. #7
    Administrator Lynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    8,453
    Thanked: 4931
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I noticed there is a pic posted already. Old School did a great job wrapping both my Iwasaki and Tosuke razors.

    That wrapping not only looks good, as you can see, but really helps in gripping the razor for shaving.

    Lynn

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:

    isshou (10-20-2009), Jock (01-09-2013)

  14. #8
    Junior Member isshou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 4

    Default Thanks

    Thanks to all of you, and specially to SiRed8 for all those links.
    I have not words to say how much I appreciate your time and consideration.

    My apologize for not saying a word before, but due to time constrains I haven't been able to follow SRP lately.

    I think I got a very close idea, even more, thanks to JimR blog Eastern Smooth: Handle Wrapping... I have seen you can train yourself up with waxed cotton line, much more convenient and easier to obtain. Further more, I have bought a couple tousuke handle from JimR. Thanks a lot Jim !

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to isshou For This Useful Post:

    JimR (10-21-2009)

  16. #9
    Senior Member blabbermouth JimR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,743
    Thanked: 1010
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by isshou View Post
    Thanks to all of you, and specially to SiRed8 for all those links.
    I have not words to say how much I appreciate your time and consideration.

    My apologize for not saying a word before, but due to time constrains I haven't been able to follow SRP lately.

    I think I got a very close idea, even more, thanks to JimR blog Eastern Smooth: Handle Wrapping... I have seen you can train yourself up with waxed cotton line, much more convenient and easier to obtain. Further more, I have bought a couple tousuke handle from JimR. Thanks a lot Jim !

    It was my pleasure, Ro. Good luck!

  17. #10
    Forum mogwai thebigspendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    27,696
    Thanked: 4402
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    You can also use parachute chord or waxed cotton. To tell you the truth though I prefer mine with the raw steel it makes me feel more macho.
    Every day without fail one should consider himself as dead-Tsunetomo

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •