Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Automatic Knives

  1. #1
    lobeless earcutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    4,111
    Thanked: 569

    Default Automatic Knives

    Good news! You can own an automatic knife in Kansas now!! I want one... I have no idea why, and I really have no idea what's a good automatic knife.

    Anyone have any recommendations or insights into these kind of knives?

    Thanks in advance.
    David
    Need help in N.E. KS?

  2. #2
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,411
    Thanked: 3450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by earcutter View Post
    Good news! You can own an automatic knife in Kansas now!! I want one... I have no idea why, and I really have no idea what's a good automatic knife.

    Anyone have any recommendations or insights into these kind of knives?

    Thanks in advance.
    Because for years, someone told you that you couldn't have one.
    earcutter and One2mny like this.

  3. #3
    lobeless earcutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    4,111
    Thanked: 569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirlau View Post
    Because for years, someone told you that you couldn't have one.
    Well... yeah, kind of .
    David
    Need help in N.E. KS?

  4. #4
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,411
    Thanked: 3450

    Default

    I had an old switch blade many years ago, cheap made. Automatic knives have not interested me. I find the "assisted open" knives just as good, pretty fast one handed opening if you choose the right one.

  5. #5
    Senior Moderator JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32,558
    Thanked: 11011

    Default

    Benchmade and Micro Tech are two brands I've had. I found that I preferred my plain old Case XX 61048 for every day carry. I can open it with my thumb one handed and the blade profile is ideal for cutting peaches, tomatoes, oranges ....... I'm not interested in cutting people.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    68
    Thanked: 9

    Default

    I have a Benchmade and it's ok but not really worth the price difference over an assisted open or even a regular tactical folder IMO.
    earcutter likes this.

  7. #7
    lobeless earcutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    4,111
    Thanked: 569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHAD View Post
    Benchmade and Micro Tech are two brands I've had. I found that I preferred my plain old Case XX 61048 for every day carry. I can open it with my thumb one handed and the blade profile is ideal for cutting peaches, tomatoes, oranges ....... I'm not interested in cutting people.
    Me either!

    But then there are a lot of people who aren't interested in shooting people either, but they still buy handguns all the same lol :-) ! Seems like the same logic :-) .

    I have more than a few knifes, I don't need another, just like I don't need another straight lol. Like I said I want one.
    Of the two brands... Which did you like more and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by feeltheburn View Post
    I have a Benchmade and it's ok but not really worth the price difference over an assisted open or even a regular tactical folder IMO.
    Thanks. Which Bench made do you have?
    David
    Need help in N.E. KS?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Steelystan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    109
    Thanked: 7

    Default

    I bought my son a Benchmade "Infidel". The blade comes straight out of the end of the handle. It has a built in mechanism to stop the blade from coming out if it hits something within the first half inch or so of the blade. Nice to have if you want to keep your pockets intact. He actually had to purchase it being active in the military. Not sure about different state regulations.
    They are pricey.
    earcutter likes this.
    The value and interest of life is not so much to do conspicuous things.........as to do ordinary things with the perception of their enormous value.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Steelystan For This Useful Post:

    earcutter (07-27-2013)

  10. #9
    Senior Moderator JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32,558
    Thanked: 11011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by earcutter View Post
    Me either!

    But then there are a lot of people who aren't interested in shooting people either, but they still buy handguns all the same lol :-) ! Seems like the same logic :-) .

    I have more than a few knifes, I don't need another, just like I don't need another straight lol. Like I said I want one.
    Of the two brands... Which did you like more and why?


    TBH I didn't like either one. Both were of a high quality and well made. The Micro Tech was a 'double action' OTF (out the front) and it scared me. It had a button that was safe enough but I was always uneasy because if it ever let go in my pocket it wouldn't have been pretty. I sold it to a friend who collects them for what I paid for it, which was quite a bit.

    The benchmade was very well made and operated flawlessly. These modern switchblades use coil springs and aren't subject to work hardening the way the old Italian stilettos were with their leaf springs. I've had more than one of those break from the tendency some of us have to repeatedly open and close the knife. I had a tendency to do that as a kid and it didn't go away. I found that repeatedly opening the benchmade aggravated my wrist. I did it so much that it eventually caused pain.

    The blade was thin but wider than my aforementioned Case XX 61048 and didn't lend itself to my primary purpose in carrying a pocket knife. I like fruit and cut peaches, apples, tomatoes and such a lot. The blade profile on the Case works better for that. My allusion in that other post, to not wanting to cut people, was in jest. I wasn't suggesting that was what you wanted the knife for. I have 22 handguns, like any normal person, and I don't want to shoot anyone either.
    Last edited by JimmyHAD; 07-27-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    earcutter likes this.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyHAD For This Useful Post:

    earcutter (07-27-2013)

  12. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    68
    Thanked: 9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by earcutter View Post
    Thanks. Which Bench made do you have?
    It's a Stryker. Nice knife but I don't think I've ever carried it.
    earcutter likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •