Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By JDM61
  • 2 Post By BobH
  • 1 Post By JDM61

Thread: Early Christmas present for my brother.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    504
    Thanked: 49

    Default Early Christmas present for my brother.

    Sorry for the bad iPhone pic. I made this one for my younger brother. .110 AEB-L HT'ed to 61 or so by Peters. The blade profile is based on a JCK Carbonext gyuto that I bought a while back. Classic Franco-Japanese shape. The sweeping choil is similar to the Hattori "forum knife" series. 240mm cutting edge, around 50mm tall at the heel, Hybrid flat grind with a pretty good distal taper, well under .010 behind the edge at its thickest, thinner out toward the tip with a hand rubbed finish. Sharpened up badly on a 1000/6000 grit King and stropped with Smurf Poo on a "flesh side" leather strop I bought at Woodcraft. Stabilized amboyna burl handle scales with 300 series SS micro-corby bolts.
    Name:  IMG_0446.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  65.6 KB
    Last edited by JDM61; 12-22-2015 at 04:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,701
    Thanked: 2206

    Default

    Looks good, didn't understand a word you said about it.

    Bob
    sharptonn and engine46 like this.
    After listening to someone talk ever wonder who ties their shoe laces?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    504
    Thanked: 49

    Default

    LOL. It's long, tall, kinda thin and hard and it was a pain in the backside to hand sand because, well, it is long, tall, kinda thin and hard. It most definitely do cut, but it could be better if a real honemeister got hold of it for a little while. I have figured out how to grind these durn things, but I need to work on learning how to properly sharpen them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    Looks good, didn't understand a word you said about it.

    Bob
    Last edited by JDM61; 12-22-2015 at 04:10 PM.
    BobH likes this.

  4. #4
    I used Nakayamas for my house mainaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    8,459
    Thanked: 2502
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    When I saw the pic I thought the profile looked familiar, then I read the description. The knife looks great. .
    Stefan

  5. #5
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,701
    Thanked: 2206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDM61 View Post
    LOL. It's long, tall, kinda thin and hard and it was a pain in the backside to hand sand because, well, it is long, tall, kinda thin and hard. It most definitely do cut, but it could be better if a real honemeister got hold of it for a little while. I have figured out how to grind these durn things, but I need to work on learning how to properly sharpen them.

    Thanks for the layman's description. Still looks good though.

    Bob
    After listening to someone talk ever wonder who ties their shoe laces?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    504
    Thanked: 49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    When I saw the pic I thought the profile looked familiar, then I read the description. The knife looks great. .
    thanks. A lot of the western style Japanese knives are kind of a riff on the basic Sabatier shape so I figure that am just bringing some French culture over to the USA via the longer eastern route.
    Last edited by JDM61; 12-22-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •