Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Iaido?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    61
    Thanked: 1

    Default Iaido?

    hey

    I was just wondering If anyone here practiced this martial art?, Iam thinking of taking this up myself, however dont really know much about it, my main question is, I want to buy a very good sword to last me a long time, however Ive looked everywhere for a good Iaito, but cant decide, Ive checked out a placed called Tozando, an online shop that sells martial art stuff. Could anyone reccomend me an Iaito?

    thanks for reading

  2. #2
    str8 and loving it alpinmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    47
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    The only thing I know about it is that it is awesome! I practice Kempo myself but since I have a few swords, I know a little about "the art of drawing the sword." There are just as many stances kneeling as standing from what I understand. There are a few forms or mini-katas for different situations like being attacked by 3 people at once. Good luck. Too bad there aren't too many places where you can just walk around with a sword on your hip. That's part of why I do Kempo. I'll always (hopefully) have my hands with me.

    This is me as Samurai Jack. Funny, I know but I had fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  3. #3
    Senior Member sensei_kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    1,580
    Thanked: 55

    Default

    There was a lady who taught at our dojo for about a year, and if she'd been around 10 years ago I would have jumped on it. Too much kneeling work for me anymore.

    Your instructor should be able to guide you in selecting a good iaito. The lady I mentioned above started everyone out with a bokken (wooden sword), and when they were ready for the real deal she helped them through the process. Other students may have good feedback for you as well. You might take a look at www.bugei.com as well.

    Good luck!

  4. #4
    Senior Member blabbermouth jnich67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Westchester NY
    Posts
    2,485
    Thanked: 184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by urahara454 View Post
    hey

    I was just wondering If anyone here practiced this martial art?, Iam thinking of taking this up myself, however dont really know much about it, my main question is, I want to buy a very good sword to last me a long time, however Ive looked everywhere for a good Iaito, but cant decide, Ive checked out a placed called Tozando, an online shop that sells martial art stuff. Could anyone reccomend me an Iaito?

    thanks for reading
    I don't practice the art, but if you're interested, I would visit all the schools nearby. Talk to the teachers, sit in on a class, etc. I would also check the teacher's credentials and then verify with the sanctioning body. A legit teacher shouldn't mind giving you this info. There are a lot of half-assed martial arts teachers out there. Once you decide on a school, ask the instructor what equipment you should buy.

    Jordan

  5. #5
    Senior Member sensei_kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    1,580
    Thanked: 55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnich67 View Post
    There are a lot of half-assed martial arts teachers out there.
    All too true. It's been going on for hundreds of years. One of my favorite quotes from Miyamoto Musashi, in his Book of Five Rings circa 1643:
    "The field of martial arts is particularly rife with flamboyant showmanship, commercial popularization and profiteering on the part of both those who teach the science and those who study it. The result of this must be that amateuristic martial arts are a source of serious wounds."

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    61
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    thanks for the great advise guys

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    61
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    possily, as with the advise of sensei_kyle and miyamoto musashi, could anyone from the UK inform me of an upstanding fantastic Iaido dojo, I live in central Britain, around the yorkshire area

  8. #8
    Senior Member blabbermouth jnich67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Westchester NY
    Posts
    2,485
    Thanked: 184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sensei_kyle View Post
    All too true. It's been going on for hundreds of years. One of my favorite quotes from Miyamoto Musashi, in his Book of Five Rings circa 1643:
    "The field of martial arts is particularly rife with flamboyant showmanship, commercial popularization and profiteering on the part of both those who teach the science and those who study it. The result of this must be that amateuristic martial arts are a source of serious wounds."

    Some things never change!

    Jordan

  9. #9
    At this point in time... gssixgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sandpoint, Idaho
    Posts
    25,221
    Thanked: 12408
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Iaido is a great focusing art it really helps with the eye, hand, and upper body movements, and yes I hope you are a young guy because the kneeling and rising involved is kinda tuff on us older farts
    As Alpinemack already noted as a self defense art this is not a good choice, but as an accompaniment to a strong Martial art it would be great exercise...
    My recommendation for a good starting Kantana would be stay under $300 this will be a good quality practice sword without breaking the bank with a $100-$150 per inch handmade Katana!!!!!
    This of course is JMHO

  10. #10
    Senior Member sensei_kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    1,580
    Thanked: 55

    Default

    A lot of the iaito are made with an aluminum alloy to prevent them from being sharpened. I'll try to remember to ask one of my fellow students where he bought his tomorrow night if he's at class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •