Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Pen display case for straight razors

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    125
    Thanked: 23

    Default Pen display case for straight razors

    I had read somewhere that pen display cases makes for good storage/display boxes for straight razors so....since I have eight of them now and they are always scattered across my shelves I thought I'd give it a try both for the purpose of display and organization.


    (Sorry for the picture qualities - it was late afternoon and a lot of sun coming through the blinds)


    Picked one up on eBay in wood with a glass window. It has slots in the felt for the intended pens.


    The 'smudges' on the glass are actually reflections of my hands taking the photo

    The case has a slope to it so the items inside are displayed a bit better:




    Placing the razors in there it seems like a great fit.
    Here with the lid open:




    ...and closed:




    These types of boxes are commonly available on eBay, Amazon, etc and might be an option if you're looking for a display-storage-combo-box.


    Question:
    Should I put something into the box to help with any moisture buildup?

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darkbulb For This Useful Post:

    Geezer (08-31-2015), Hirlau (08-31-2015), JP5 (09-01-2015)

  3. #2
    Senior Member Willisf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Yorkton, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    1,172
    Thanked: 230

    Default

    SWEET!

    Looks pretty good!

    Darkbulb likes this.
    Is it over there or over yonder?

  4. #3
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,414
    Thanked: 3451

    Default

    Putting something in the box would definitely be noticed & take just a little away from the view, but its your call,,,,
    it is possible to get panty hose that are close to the same color as the green felt,,,, small sections of the panty hose are cut & rice added,,, tying a knot in both ends making small green rice balls that would pull the moisture,,, putting these balls in the corners,,,, they would not be very noticeable.
    ,,,,,or

    If the razors are just for display, a light coat of lubrication (your choice) put on the blades & keep an eye on them.

    I have three vintages blades in a display case in the bathroom, they were coated with WD-40 Specialist 6.5 oz. Long-Term Corrosion Inhibitor ,, they have been in the case for over a year & half with not a blemish.

    Name:  wd40.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  22.1 KB

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    125
    Thanked: 23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirlau View Post
    Putting something in the box would definitely be noticed & take just a little away from the view, but its your call,,,,
    it is possible to get panty hose that are close to the same color as the green felt,,,, small sections of the panty hose are cut & rice added,,, tying a knot in both ends making small green rice balls that would pull the moisture,,, putting these balls in the corners,,,, they would not be very noticeable.
    ,,,,,or

    If the razors are just for display, a light coat of lubrication (your choice) put on the blades & keep an eye on them.

    I have three vintages blades in a display case in the bathroom, they were coated with WD-40 Specialist 6.5 oz. Long-Term Corrosion Inhibitor ,, they have been in the case for over a year & half with not a blemish.

    Name:  wd40.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  22.1 KB

    Thanks for the idea of making 'rice balls'.
    They are to be used
    lethalgraphix likes this.

  6. #5
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,414
    Thanked: 3451

    Default

    your welcome,,,,,,,,,,,

  7. #6
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,414
    Thanked: 3451

    Default

    If they are going to be used, a coat of mineral oil , by using a Q-Tip will not be noticeable that much , can be wiped & shaved & will not effect the rice balls.

  8. #7
    Senior Member lethalgraphix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Fairfield, California
    Posts
    341
    Thanked: 60

    Default

    Very nice case. Looks like your well on your way to "shave den" post. Keep us posted, we love snooping in your drawers.
    mglindo likes this.

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    125
    Thanked: 23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lethalgraphix View Post
    Very nice case. Looks like your well on your way to "shave den" post. Keep us posted, we love snooping in your drawers.

    Well...I only have those eight SRs...but..uh...I got about 100 safety razors
    Hirlau likes this.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    254
    Thanked: 39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbulb View Post
    Should I put something into the box to help with any moisture buildup?
    silica gel packets work pretty well I hear


    Quote Originally Posted by Hirlau View Post
    small sections of the panty hose are cut & rice added,,, tying a knot in both ends making small green rice balls that would pull the moisture
    That's a great idea, will use this in the future!
    Last edited by TristanLudlow; 08-31-2015 at 06:45 AM.

  11. #10
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    18,195
    Thanked: 5822

    Default

    Lots of problem-prone celluloid in there. Air exchange is mandatory. One gassing could effect all of them.
    I could suggest drilling some round holes in the ends, find some plug/grilles at the hardware to put in.
    I know this from experience. By all means, keep an eye on them.


    In this display case, there are 3 cupped sink-strainers with filters in them on the bottom perimeter.
    A computer fan under the brush blows out the bottom. Constant air exchange. Better safe than sorry. YMMV

    Name:  bs 007.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  66.5 KB

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sharptonn For This Useful Post:

    Hirlau (08-31-2015), jmercer (09-16-2015), MattCB (09-02-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •