Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61
  1. #1
    Str8 & Loving It BladeRunner001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Twilight Zone
    Posts
    3,740
    Thanked: 3180

    Lightbulb Keeping lather warm - an alternative to scuttle

    Well...like most bowl latherers out there, I had been struggling to find that perfect something that would keep my nice uberlather warm for the duration of my shave. The scuttle seemed to offer the solution until I realized that I needed my lather to stay warm for longer than 15 minutes without the need to refresh the hot water in it.

    Then about 1.5 months ago, I stumbled onto the solution

    The "Sunbeam Hot Pot Express" (see picture below):

    Name:  emg1053.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  17.0 KB

    This thing offered many advantages (at least to me):

    1. Cheap - $10-$12 at Target. Can't go wrong
    2. Keeps water warm and has variable temperature control
    3. I can put my mug/brush inside and fill both mug and pot with water and heat while I take my shower...I will have nice warm brush in under 3 minutes
    4. I can build lather and put it back in the pot...the warm water in pot will keep the lather warm during each pass.

    It is plain AWESOME ...and consistent temperatures all through my shaves, every time. Now, I love my lather even more.


    Anyone else tried this?...If so, do share your experiences...good, bad and ugly

    PS: I am sure that I have seen a video of someone (not sure if it was Joel or maybe I saw it on YouTube) using this technique too some time ago.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BladeRunner001 For This Useful Post:

    Slamthunderide (07-14-2010), Tony A (02-19-2014)

  3. #2
    Still learning markevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,043
    Thanked: 240

    Default

    I used to cook with one of those when I was in a dorm. I must say, the variable temp really sets this apart from the other cheep water boilers.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to markevens For This Useful Post:

    BladeRunner001 (06-16-2010)

  5. #3
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,566
    Thanked: 2537

    Default Keeping Lather Warm

    Hello, Bladerunner:

    I have seen those hot pots and have been told they work quite well. Good buy, that one.

    Regards,
    Obie

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Obie For This Useful Post:

    BladeRunner001 (06-16-2010)

  7. #4
    Str8 & Loving It BladeRunner001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Twilight Zone
    Posts
    3,740
    Thanked: 3180

    Default

    Thanks Obie

    It is remarkable how a small and cheap little thing can lead to such satisfaction

    Cheers,
    Robert

    Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    Hello, Bladerunner:

    I have seen those hot pots and have been told they work quite well. Good buy, that one.

    Regards,
    Obie

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BladeRunner001 For This Useful Post:

    Obie (06-16-2010)

  9. #5
    I shave with a spoon on a stick. Slartibartfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stay away stalker!
    Posts
    4,577
    Thanked: 1262
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I think his name is Pastor... But he uses a Chocolate melter thing I believe with success.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Slartibartfast For This Useful Post:

    BladeRunner001 (06-16-2010)

  11. #6
    Str8 & Loving It BladeRunner001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Twilight Zone
    Posts
    3,740
    Thanked: 3180

    Default

    You are right...a quick search revealed the name. It's "The_Pastor", but wasn't able to narrow down which post has the chocolate melter thingy you mentioned (too many posts to go through).

    I'd be curious

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    I think his name is Pastor... But he uses a Chocolate melter thing I believe with success.

  12. #7
    Comrade in Arms Alraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    976
    Thanked: 332

    Default

    Perhaps, it may be this one: http://www.straightrazorplace.com/fo...e-scuttle.html

    Al raz.


    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner001 View Post
    You are right...a quick search revealed the name. It's "The_Pastor", but wasn't able to narrow down which post has the chocolate melter thingy you mentioned (too many posts to go through).

    I'd be curious

    Thanks

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alraz For This Useful Post:

    BladeRunner001 (06-18-2010)

  14. #8
    Str8 & Loving It BladeRunner001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Twilight Zone
    Posts
    3,740
    Thanked: 3180

    Default

    Possible...and interesting. it does look like a chocolate melter thingy

    Thanks for sharing...

    Quote Originally Posted by Alraz View Post
    Perhaps, it may be this one: http://www.straightrazorplace.com/fo...e-scuttle.html

    Al raz.

  15. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    This inspired me to try something today. I dug up the coffee cup warmer I used to have at my desk. If you've not familiar, it is basically a little hot plate that you sit your mug on to keep your coffee warm. So today, I filled a mug with water and a brush to sit and warm up. Then I lathered up with coffee temp water and mug. After I sit the mug back on the warmer. It kept the mug and lather nice and warm.

    Not exactly what I have, but you get the idea:
    http://images.replacements.com/image...316S0074T2.jpg

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to transect For This Useful Post:

    BladeRunner001 (06-20-2010)

  17. #10
    Str8 & Loving It BladeRunner001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Twilight Zone
    Posts
    3,740
    Thanked: 3180

    Default

    Yes...that's the basic idea with all of these toys. As long as one is weary of the temperature.


    Quote Originally Posted by transect View Post
    This inspired me to try something today. I dug up the coffee cup warmer I used to have at my desk. If you've not familiar, it is basically a little hot plate that you sit your mug on to keep your coffee warm. So today, I filled a mug with water and a brush to sit and warm up. Then I lathered up with coffee temp water and mug. After I sit the mug back on the warmer. It kept the mug and lather nice and warm.

    Not exactly what I have, but you get the idea:
    http://images.replacements.com/image...316S0074T2.jpg

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •