Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Which one?

  1. #1
    Senior Member BWH1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Denver, Colo
    Posts
    154
    Thanked: 21

    Default Which one?


    Out of the above 6 which should I use as my practice razor for learning to hone, restore?
    The blades of the perfection and pathfinder are very loose ( the perfection reaches into both scales, the pathfinder barely touching only one)
    The dovo is the only shave ready.
    Does it really matter?
    Thank you gentleman.
    Enjoy your day!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member dinnermint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,646
    Thanked: 328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BWH1980 View Post

    Out of the above 6 which should I use as my practice razor for learning to hone, restore?
    The blades of the perfection and pathfinder are very loose ( the perfection reaches into both scales, the pathfinder barely touching only one)
    The dovo is the only shave ready.
    Does it really matter?
    Thank you gentleman.
    Enjoy your day!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If the dovo is shave ready, I would leave it until it needs it.

    I would do the hiz and pathfinder together and compare them with each other and the dovo.

    Best quick tips I have are, run a sharpie on the bevel to check contact, use magnification and take your time.

    Good luck!
    outback and BWH1980 like this.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to dinnermint For This Useful Post:

    BWH1980 (06-19-2017)

  4. #3
    Senior Member BWH1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Denver, Colo
    Posts
    154
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Thank you dinnermint.
    Any reason for those two?
    Yes have the sharpie and 30x loupe. Is the 30x good enough? I was just looking at a 60x with l.e.ds it was only $5 to my door or should I do the microscope from RadioShack?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Senior Member dinnermint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,646
    Thanked: 328

    Default

    Sorry, I should have clarified better, always been one of my short comings.

    They appear to be the most similar with geometry and limited home wear. The perfection looks like it has stabilizer issues, when there is enough wear in a blade, the stabilizer will get in the way of honing. Probably best to go with the pathfinder first, no stabilizer, lless things to worry about.

    I am not very good at thinner razors, so it nixes the one above the Dovo.

    The top right is really black on one side, might require some cleaning first. But I'm a bit of a germophobe, so I try to get everythin clean as a whistle before it touches stones.

    I know many people use a 30x and create stellar edges. I started with a carson microbrite, the one that uses AA batteries. Its power is 60x- 120x for US$12 on amazon. I really just wanted a cheap and easy battery replacement. Although not completely necessary, just what I am used to.
    BWH1980 likes this.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dinnermint For This Useful Post:

    BWH1980 (06-19-2017), ecmaeduin (07-13-2017)

  7. #5
    Senior Member blabbermouth outback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,885
    Thanked: 2083

    Default

    Top left looks to have the least issues with the blade.
    Hone wear, frowns ect.
    Your not ready for geometry issues, stay with something in good condition, and get a 40x loupe to watch your progress.
    You'll be surprised at how long it takes to remove a chip in the bevel, that's hardly noticeable by the naked eye.
    dinnermint and BWH1980 like this.
    Mike

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to outback For This Useful Post:

    BWH1980 (06-19-2017)

  9. #6
    Senior Member BWH1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Denver, Colo
    Posts
    154
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dinnermint View Post
    Sorry, I should have clarified better, always been one of my short comings.

    They appear to be the most similar with geometry and limited home wear. The perfection looks like it has stabilizer issues, when there is enough wear in a blade, the stabilizer will get in the way of honing. Probably best to go with the pathfinder first, no stabilizer, lless things to worry about.

    I am not very good at thinner razors, so it nixes the one above the Dovo.

    The top right is really black on one side, might require some cleaning first. But I'm a bit of a germophobe, so I try to get everythin clean as a whistle before it touches stones.

    I know many people use a 30x and create stellar edges. I started with a carson microbrite, the one that uses AA batteries. Its power is 60x- 120x for US$12 on amazon. I really just wanted a cheap and easy battery replacement. Although not completely necessary, just what I am used to.
    Thank you for clarifying.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me and the knowledge you have shared.

    Ok I'll stick with the 30x till next payday as I went stone crazy this weekend lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #7
    Senior Member dinnermint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,646
    Thanked: 328

    Default

    No problemo!

    I would spent a bit of time before honing, checking out the bevel through the loupe. Really inspect it and try to get the clearest picture possible. Getting the angle with the led light can be tricky. Well, it was for me lol. Once it is muscle memory it goes by fast, but dinging a razor on the scope is very frustrating.
    outback and BWH1980 like this.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to dinnermint For This Useful Post:

    BWH1980 (06-19-2017)

  12. #8
    Senior Member BWH1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Denver, Colo
    Posts
    154
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outback View Post
    Top left looks to have the least issues with the blade.
    Hone wear, frowns ect.
    Your not ready for geometry issues, stay with something in good condition, and get a 40x loupe to watch your progress.
    You'll be surprised at how long it takes to remove a chip in the bevel, that's hardly noticeable by the naked eye.
    Thank you.
    What do you mean I'm not ready? You mean I can't be my normal head first self and try learning everything in my first month? Lol
    I completely agree there is so much to learn.

    I really appreciate y'all for the knowledge!
    It's an amazing age we live in at times. The ability to grab my phone and get firsthand knowledge from individuals like y'all is invaluable! imo
    dinnermint and outback like this.

  13. #9
    Senior Member BWH1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Denver, Colo
    Posts
    154
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Will do!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    outback likes this.

  14. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    302
    Thanked: 73

    Default

    When you are starting out learning to hone, there is always the possibility of damaging the razor. Thus, the razor you use for practice should always be the one you would miss the least if you damage it.

    If you do not already have such a razor, then you can either purchase an inexpensive vintage razor, or an inexpensive Chinese razor such as the Gold Dollar and ZY razors. Avoid unknown brands that may or may not take a satisfactory edge. Although the GD and ZY razors frequently have issues, they are generally capable of achieving a suitable edge with some work. Thus, they are good razors for learning how to hone. Many people use GD or ZY razors as test razors when trying out new hones.
    BWH1980 likes this.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to RayClem For This Useful Post:

    BWH1980 (06-19-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •