Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: An Unusual Cat

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    832
    Thanked: 241

    Default An Unusual Cat

    Gentlemen,

    Alfredo has been re-scaling an unusual razor for me, a NOS Le Jaguar Systematique. I've not seen another like it, and it is also unusual that I have the original purchase order from Champredon-Cognet. It was sold to a gentleman in Morocco on March 31, 1955. I wonder why he never used it...

    The original faux tortoise scales had shrunk and warped to the point of failure, along with the silk-screened logo, and I chose the always classy black horn to replace them. A junker donor razor (completely shot 4/8) from France gave me a traditional logo for the scales.

    The razor images are from Alfredo while work was in progress, the metal is pristine.

    Cheers, Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images      

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve56 For This Useful Post:

    neehooya (11-14-2017), ScoutHikerDad (11-15-2017), sharptonn (11-14-2017)

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    832
    Thanked: 241

    Default

    Oh, this card came with it too.

    Cheers, Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    MODINE, lz6, Geezer and 9 others like this.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve56 For This Useful Post:

    sharptonn (11-14-2017)

  5. #3
    Senior Member blabbermouth Gasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Colorado springs
    Posts
    2,150
    Thanked: 459

    Default

    Very nice collector piece.
    Steve56 likes this.
    Jerry...

  6. #4
    Senior Member blabbermouth Dieseld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Reading MI
    Posts
    2,991
    Thanked: 780

    Default

    Beautiful razor

    And it's always really nice to have some of the original paperwork with it
    Look sharp and smell nice for the ladies.~~~Benz
    Help support Movember https://us.movember.com/mospace
    "How you livin?" ~~Dave~~

  7. #5
    Senior Member Chugach68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    577
    Thanked: 57

    Default

    Very unique. Looking awesome.
    I choose death before dishonor
    I'd rather die than live down on my knees

  8. #6
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    18,617
    Thanked: 5981

    Default

    It's amazing to me that the scales had shrunk, yet the blade is pristine.
    Shrinking and no off-gassing!

    Excellent use of resources to obtain the inlay and the job looks right-proper.
    Is it now an 'onlay'? Curious how it was applied..
    Beautiful thing! and all the documentation is, as Dave stated, Nice!

    "Systematique"!
    Last edited by sharptonn; 11-14-2017 at 01:56 AM.
    Steve56 likes this.
    Look at the Movember auctions in the BST!
    Buy and/or sell for a good cause!
    http://straightrazorplace.com/movember-auctions/

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    832
    Thanked: 241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharptonn View Post
    It's amazing to me that the scales had shrunk, yet the blade is pristine.
    Shrinking and no off-gassing!

    Excellent use of resources to obtain the inlay and the job looks right-proper.
    Is it now an 'onlay'? Curious how it was applied..
    Beautiful thing! and all the documentation is, as Dave stated, Nice!

    "Systematique"!
    Shrunken sales and decent steel aren't that unusual, some Red Imps are famous for shrinking scales but it wasn't cell rot I think.

    The 'inlay's were always 'onlays' lol. I think they came on a paper like the no-lick stamps with adhesive on one side and a backing. Peel off the paper over the adhesive, position, press, and peel off the back. Alfredo says he just soaks them in acetone and they float off the scale. That usually destroys the old scale though.

    The documents are nice, it isn't often we get to know some history of our razors.

    Cheers, Steve
    sharptonn and MrZ like this.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Dubai, Vancouver, Hamburg
    Posts
    476
    Thanked: 96

    Default

    Interesting find and interesting to note that the company used postcards at that time to confirm an order.

    Looking at the typing errors, it might have been an apprentice who typed it, but in any case I won’t have to feel bad any longer about my typing errors when I practice my French on the unsupecting population.


    B.

  11. #9
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    18,617
    Thanked: 5981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve56 View Post
    Shrunken sales and decent steel aren't that unusual, some Red Imps are famous for shrinking scales but it wasn't cell rot I think.

    The 'inlay's were always 'onlays' lol. I think they came on a paper like the no-lick stamps with adhesive on one side and a backing. Peel off the paper over the adhesive, position, press, and peel off the back. Alfredo says he just soaks them in acetone and they float off the scale. That usually destroys the old scale though.

    The documents are nice, it isn't often we get to know some history of our razors.

    Cheers, Steve
    Ya, Steve, but faux-tortoise seems to be the worst. Seems the French formula saved it!
    Quote Originally Posted by beluga View Post
    Interesting find and interesting to note that the company used postcards at that time to confirm an order.

    Looking at the typing errors, it might have been an apprentice who typed it, but in any case I won’t have to feel bad any longer about my typing errors when I practice my French on the unsupecting population.


    B.
    In other words, it's authentic!
    Look at the Movember auctions in the BST!
    Buy and/or sell for a good cause!
    http://straightrazorplace.com/movember-auctions/

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    832
    Thanked: 241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beluga View Post
    Interesting find and interesting to note that the company used postcards at that time to confirm an order.

    Looking at the typing errors, it might have been an apprentice who typed it, but in any case I won’t have to feel bad any longer about my typing errors when I practice my French on the unsupecting population.


    B.
    I showed it to my French teacher (who is native French) and he had to think a bit - he said it was written in 'old' French, or at least a manner that is not used today. So maybe an archaic formal style?

    And true, a typewriter didn't give second chances back then.

    Cheers, Steve
    sharptonn likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •