Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Wade & Butcher Hallmarks

  1. #11
    King of the Hill Antares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    80
    Thanked: 11

    Default

    I have another question. There is something I don't understand:
    Most of you know the page Straight Razor Manufacturers and Dates of Operation

    It says:
    WADE & BUTCHER
    Successor to Robert Wade; succeeded by Butcher, Brown & Butcher
    Sheffield
    1818-1890 ("Old Sheffield Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, December 1922 p.261-267)

    and

    WILLIAM & SAMUEL BUTCHER
    WADE & BUTCHER

    Eyre Lane, Sheffield.
    circa 1845 to at least 1919
    1830 - ? ("More Old Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, May 1927 p.372-374)

    So, did W&B produce razors till 1890 or till 1919?

  2. #12
    It's Nice To Be Nice JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    30,726
    Thanked: 10115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antares View Post
    I have another question. There is something I don't understand:
    Most of you know the page Straight Razor Manufacturers and Dates of Operation

    It says:
    WADE & BUTCHER
    Successor to Robert Wade; succeeded by Butcher, Brown & Butcher
    Sheffield
    1818-1890 ("Old Sheffield Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, December 1922 p.261-267)

    and

    WILLIAM & SAMUEL BUTCHER
    WADE & BUTCHER

    Eyre Lane, Sheffield.
    circa 1845 to at least 1919
    1830 - ? ("More Old Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, May 1927 p.372-374)

    So, did W&B produce razors till 1890 or till 1919?
    I would say it had to be at least 1919 if not beyond that. The photo of the DE in the post above would indicate that. The razor resembles a Gillette and they weren't in production until 1903. I have seen a W&B pocket knife on the bay that was of a style that looked like it would have been made in the '20s or '30s.
    Be careful how you treat people on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down.

  3. #13
    King of the Hill Antares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    80
    Thanked: 11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHAD View Post
    I would say it had to be at least 1919 if not beyond that. The photo of the DE in the post above would indicate that. The razor resembles a Gillette and they weren't in production until 1903. I have seen a W&B pocket knife on the bay that was of a style that looked like it would have been made in the '20s or '30s.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I saw an old ad on ebay today that was also post 1900. Guess I have to read that Lummus article sometime.

  4. #14
    Super Shaver xman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lotus Land, eh
    Posts
    8,195
    Thanked: 620

    Default

    Where do the encircled 'B' and the iron cross come from?

    X

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Default Wade & Butcher

    I own a Wade & Butcher Bowie Knife with the encircled b + arrow + maltess cross.....

    I found this interesting because i thought Wade & Butcher only made Razors

    A picture of this knife can be found on:

    Knife; Bowie, Wade & Butcher, Sheffield, Antler Grip, Clipped End Blade, Sheath. [p4a.com, ltd.]

  6. #16
    It's Nice To Be Nice JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    30,726
    Thanked: 10115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I own a Wade & Butcher Bowie Knife with the encircled b + arrow + maltess cross.....

    I found this interesting because i thought Wade & Butcher only made Razors
    No, they made pocket knives too and safety razors later on. I don't know exactly when they went out of business. Your knife looks like an 1850s vintage to me but I am no expert.
    Be careful how you treat people on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down.

  7. #17
    Member Jason01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    93
    Thanked: 28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littlesilverbladefromwale View Post
    IIRC the word England was added in the 1890's because it was required for imported items in either Canada or the US.
    I think this applied to all makers though.
    I wonder what Welsh cutlers put on their wares?
    Did someone say Welsh


  8. #18
    It's Nice To Be Nice JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    30,726
    Thanked: 10115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason01 View Post
    Did someone say Welsh
    Nice ! Here is a set of four. Circa ? A.W. Stamiforth Cutler, Cardiff . Good shavers all.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Be careful how you treat people on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Riding of Yorks. , England
    Posts
    103
    Thanked: 27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blueprinciple View Post
    .........the company's founder Robert Wade.....
    Robert Wade was not the company's founder, he was the head of W. & S. Butcher's New York office.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Riding of Yorks. , England
    Posts
    103
    Thanked: 27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antares View Post
    I have another question. There is something I don't understand:
    Most of you know the page Straight Razor Manufacturers and Dates of Operation

    It says:
    WADE & BUTCHER
    Successor to Robert Wade; succeeded by Butcher, Brown & Butcher
    Sheffield
    1818-1890 ("Old Sheffield Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, December 1922 p.261-267)

    and

    WILLIAM & SAMUEL BUTCHER
    WADE & BUTCHER

    Eyre Lane, Sheffield.
    circa 1845 to at least 1919
    1830 - ? ("More Old Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, May 1927 p.372-374)

    So, did W&B produce razors till 1890 or till 1919?
    W. & S. Butcher continued in cutlery production until 1959. When their razor production ended I do not know, but I am sure it would have been rather later than 1919 - there was still a significant (but reducing) demand for open razors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •