Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: W. Greaves & Sons

  1. #21
    Senior Member silverloaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    vermont
    Posts
    775
    Thanked: 207

    Default

    Some with obvious signs of light regrinding. look at the junctions between blade and tangs, and notice some have a partial etch on the blade under slightly more course grind lines than the rest of the blade faces. Uneven regrind on reverse of a couple blades, difference in how oxidation presents and how light reflects off the different surfaces.
    Name:  IMG_20170804_150534962 (Copy).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  20.4 KBName:  IMG_20171120_191544081 (Copy).jpg
Views: 87
Size:  13.3 KBName:  IMG_20171120_191432030 (Copy).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  13.8 KBName:  IMG_20171120_190923536 (Copy).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  13.2 KBName:  IMG_20171120_190910610 (Copy).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  14.1 KBName:  DSC04836 (Copy).jpg
Views: 87
Size:  11.3 KB
    Silverloaf

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to silverloaf For This Useful Post:

    JazzDoc (11-30-2017)

  3. #22
    Senior Member silverloaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    vermont
    Posts
    775
    Thanked: 207

    Default

    And here is a Clark & Osborn dating from 1822-30 (G crown R), perhaps a decade later or maybe contemporary to the op's Greaves, but shows similar shape anyhow. It shows the tang reshaped as I mentioned.Name:  IMG_20171120_190624121 (Copy).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  24.1 KBName:  IMG_20171120_190730700 (Copy).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  25.0 KBName:  IMG_20171120_190631868 (Copy).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  27.1 KB Compare this to the razors in the linked threads I posted earlier
    MrZ likes this.
    Silverloaf

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to silverloaf For This Useful Post:

    JazzDoc (11-30-2017)

  5. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    44
    Thanked: 13

    Default

    I'm not sure if this is a stub tail even though it looks pretty short, but that's due to how long this blade is - 3.5 inches about and it scares me to shave with it.

    Name:  Sheaf Works Greaves.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  41.4 KB
    MrZ likes this.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to buanadha For This Useful Post:

    JazzDoc (11-30-2017)

  7. #24
    Junior Member JazzDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Central PA, USA
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverloaf View Post
    And here is a Clark & Osborn dating from 1822-30 (G crown R), perhaps a decade later or maybe contemporary to the op's Greaves, but shows similar shape anyhow. It shows the tang reshaped as I mentioned.Name:  IMG_20171120_190624121 (Copy).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  24.1 KBName:  IMG_20171120_190730700 (Copy).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  25.0 KBName:  IMG_20171120_190631868 (Copy).jpg
Views: 86
Size:  27.1 KB Compare this to the razors in the linked threads I posted earlier
    Thanks ever so much, @silverloaf. What great explanations, images and links. I very much appreciate your input. Loaded with pearls and detail.
    silverloaf likes this.

  8. #25
    Captain ARAD. Voidmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacifica, CA
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanked: 1454

    Default

    It's also worth noting though that it was very common for the blade face and the tang to have different surface treatments.

    Most that did that used a satin finish (or glaze) on the tang and a mirror (or crocus, named for the type of polish used -- iron oxide powder which strongly resembles the pollen in a crocus flower) on the blade face. John Barber seems to have been one of the few who did the reverse.

    And another odd tidbit -- GR stamps were actually, rarely, used before George IV (Jul 19th 1821 to June 26th 1829). There's a machete with that stamp on it in the 1813 Smith's Key. It was also used during George V's reign (1910-1936), you're most likely to run into that with John Weiss razors. The 287 Oxford St. address is the key -- they didn't move there until late in the Victorian era. During George IV's time, they were on the Strand.
    silverloaf and MrZ like this.
    -Zak Jarvis. Writer. Artist. Bon vivant.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voidmonster For This Useful Post:

    JazzDoc (11-30-2017), MrZ (12-01-2017)

  10. #26
    Senior Member silverloaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    vermont
    Posts
    775
    Thanked: 207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidmonster View Post
    It's also worth noting though that it was very common for the blade face and the tang to have different surface treatments.

    Most that did that used a satin finish (or glaze) on the tang
    "Glazed Tang mwamwamwa" (said in a Homer Simpson voice) Name:  IMG_20170424_133628267.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  13.8 KBName:  IMG_20170424_133611541.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  17.0 KBName:  IMG_20171120_191355071 (Copy).jpg
Views: 67
Size:  19.4 KB
    Indeed, and again in person examination is invaluable here. It's not always as straight forward as I described as Voidmonster pointed out.
    first two pics show a razor in the manner described, glazed tang, crocus finish on the blade faces, though perhaps hard to tell from these pics and the level of oxidation. third pic shows a regrind, and not a blade done in the described manner. his third blade is a good example of what I was referring to, but again hard to see accurately in pics. See the differences between the two blades? (if the blade in third pic were brought to a simulated crocus finish it'd be harder or impossible to detect it being a regrind. This is the result I would say is a successful regrind, when it retains as close to it's original degree of hollow and blade surface looks legit)
    Last edited by silverloaf; 11-21-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    Voidmonster likes this.
    Silverloaf

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to silverloaf For This Useful Post:

    JazzDoc (11-30-2017)

  12. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    26
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Name:  2017113095102243.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  67.8 KB
    Name:  2017113095102235.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  61.0 KB

    MMMMMM, I love a good Greaves. Picked this one up for 10 bucks. It was so rusted and dirty I couldn't even tell it was a Greaves, just that it was a nicely shaped Sheffield wedge. Cleaned it up and got pretty lucky.
    buanadha likes this.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrampson311 For This Useful Post:

    JazzDoc (11-30-2017)

  14. #28
    Junior Member JazzDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Central PA, USA
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrampson311 View Post
    Name:  2017113095102243.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  67.8 KB
    Name:  2017113095102235.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  61.0 KB

    MMMMMM, I love a good Greaves. Picked this one up for 10 bucks. It was so rusted and dirty I couldn't even tell it was a Greaves, just that it was a nicely shaped Sheffield wedge. Cleaned it up and got pretty lucky.
    Beautiful restoration!!! VERY nice.
    Mark Polis, M.D., a.k.a., Mark
    He is the best physician who is the most ingenious inspirer of hope__S. T. Coleridge

  15. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    26
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Thanks man. Took forever sanding by hand. I was gonna have a friend make some new honey horn scales, but I just hated to ditch the originals, so I lightly sanded and polished, repined, and I think it turned out pretty good too... Cant wait to get my hands on another Greaves now though.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrampson311 For This Useful Post:

    JazzDoc (12-01-2017)

  17. #30
    Junior Member JazzDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Central PA, USA
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrampson311 View Post
    Thanks man. Took forever sanding by hand. I was gonna have a friend make some new honey horn scales, but I just hated to ditch the originals, so I lightly sanded and polished, repined, and I think it turned out pretty good too... Cant wait to get my hands on another Greaves now though.
    I'll bet.
    Did you use SuperGlue (CA/cyanoacrylate) to "heal" the bites, etc., out of the original scales?
    Mark Polis, M.D., a.k.a., Mark
    He is the best physician who is the most ingenious inspirer of hope__S. T. Coleridge

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •