Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Charlie Lewis 9/8"

  1. #11
    Obsessive compulsive EisenFaust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,233
    Thanked: 319

    Default

    Well, first of all Damascus isn't a 'type' of steel, but simply the name for folded/layered steel. As for this razor, if I remember Charlie's original thread correctly it's two layers of iron with a high carbon steel core. He may chime in with the exact composition (or find his thread).

  2. #12
    Still Learning ezpz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    manitoba canada
    Posts
    393
    Thanked: 41

    Default

    yes, when i said damascus i meant pattern welded, as it kind of looked like etched pattern welded steel. interesting that he used two layers of iron.

    as far as i know damascus was a 'type' of steel although maybe not produced as consistently as our modern foundry made steels are today, and i've heard talk that we are now able to reproduce the alloy fairly close to the original, something about vanadium and perhaps other metals. someone else that knows metallurgy better might chime in here.

    anyways, thanks EisenFaust. i'll see if i can find that thread.

  3. #13
    Junior Member Hamburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EisenFaust View Post
    Well, first of all Damascus isn't a 'type' of steel, but simply the name for folded/layered steel. As for this razor, if I remember Charlie's original thread correctly it's two layers of iron with a high carbon steel core. He may chime in with the exact composition (or find his thread).
    You're right EisenFaust it is 1095 steel between wrought iron.

    Quote Originally Posted by ezpz View Post
    yes, when i said damascus i meant pattern welded, as it kind of looked like etched pattern welded steel. interesting that he used two layers of iron.

    as far as i know damascus was a 'type' of steel although maybe not produced as consistently as our modern foundry made steels are today, and i've heard talk that we are now able to reproduce the alloy fairly close to the original, something about vanadium and perhaps other metals. someone else that knows metallurgy better might chime in here.

    anyways, thanks EisenFaust. i'll see if i can find that thread.
    I would like to know more about the pattern welding / damascus or about how Charlie made this individual razor too. The photos here and on SRD when I bought it don't really do it justice, it is wild in person. I just wanted a lewis blade and this one stuck around SRD for about a month?!? They're not cheap, but worth every penny, and if another comes up on SRD when my wallet is doing okay I will be selfish and scoop it up haha.
    Last edited by Hamburg; 02-22-2012 at 02:24 PM.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Speedster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spokane WA
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanked: 385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamburg View Post
    I would like to know more about the pattern welding / damascus or about how Charlie made this individual razor too. The photos here and on SRD when I bought it don't really do it justice, it is wild in person. I just wanted a lewis blade and this one stuck around SRD for about a month?!? They're not cheap, but worth every penny, and if another comes up on SRD when my wallet is doing okay I will be selfish and scoop it up haha.
    The 8/8 Sheffield I picked up from SRD in January is also quite astonishing to behold; the pictures just don't do the blade justice. I'm in the same boat with you, Hamburg, as I want a fixed-blade from Charlie the next time some become available.


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •