Page 135 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1541
Like Tree2982Likes

Thread: First Tier Soaps and Creams

  1. #1341
    Senior Member evnpar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,946
    Thanked: 317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    I do not make a lather that is different from the one I use shaving with a straight razor when I shave with a DE/SE. I want the same lather characteristics no matter what. A sharp blade is a sharp blade.

    Bob
    Yes, that would be ideal, but I have many Tier 2 & 3 soaps that I enjoy using because of their scent, although the lather is mediocre. I like to use soaps that are very slick with straights, and although slickness is to a large extent related to adequate hydration of the lather, I find that different soaps can vary in slickness. I can obtain a decent enough shave with soaps with average slickness when using a DE or SE, although I'd obtain a more comfortable shave with a straight when using soaps with excellent slickness. When I do want to use a Tier 2 or 3 soap with a straight, I can sometimes increase slickness by using Castle Forbes Pre Shave. An example would be Penhaligon's English Fern soap, a scent that I love and occasionally use, but even the vintage tallow formulation seems to produce a mediocre lather.
    Phrank, Steve56 and Dieseld like this.
    Richard

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to evnpar For This Useful Post:

    Dieseld (10-13-2017), MrEvolution (10-12-2017), Obie (10-12-2017), Phrank (10-12-2017)

  3. #1342
    The Assyrian Obie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,604
    Thanked: 2549

    Default

    Gentlemen,

    I agree with my friend Bob about not distinguishing between the lather made for the straight razor and that for the safety razor. Good lather will work equally well for the straight and the safety razors.
    BobH, Phrank, neehooya and 1 others like this.

  4. #1343
    Senior Member blabbermouth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,973
    Thanked: 2272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evnpar View Post
    Yes, that would be ideal, but I have many Tier 2 & 3 soaps that I enjoy using because of their scent, although the lather is mediocre. I like to use soaps that are very slick with straights, and although slickness is to a large extent related to adequate hydration of the lather, I find that different soaps can vary in slickness. I can obtain a decent enough shave with soaps with average slickness when using a DE or SE, although I'd obtain a more comfortable shave with a straight when using soaps with excellent slickness. When I do want to use a Tier 2 or 3 soap with a straight, I can sometimes increase slickness by using Castle Forbes Pre Shave. An example would be Penhaligon's English Fern soap, a scent that I love and occasionally use, but even the vintage tallow formulation seems to produce a mediocre lather.
    Appears I am not as fussy as you are with scent and slickness. Arko is perfectly fine for me with a straight razor and 4 pass shave and also serves well paired with a Gillette Fat Boy @9/Feather blade combo in a 4 pass shave. Could say the same with Tabac or MdC or many other soaps and creams. The shave is what counts and it must be smooth, comfortable/ no irritation and long lasting. As always everyone is different in what they require from a product.

    Bob
    After listening to someone talk ever wonder who ties their shoe laces?

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobH For This Useful Post:

    MrEvolution (10-12-2017), Obie (10-12-2017)

  6. #1344
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    309
    Thanked: 88

    Default

    Gents,

    I finally got to the DRH Windsor puck this morning, I liked the subtle scent and shaving properties however, I thought it lacked a little in cushion/density.
    I wasn't able to whip up a frothy lather that I normally get from MdC, Baume.be, CF, or A.Gomez.
    It could have been user error and I might have added too much aqua. I'm working here in CO with hard water and many of you reported that DRH is a thirsty puck. So maybe subconsciously I thought I needed to add more water than I typically do.

    I promise to update you again after I experiment with the soap a little more.
    Keep on shaving my friends!
    Last edited by neehooya; 10-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to neehooya For This Useful Post:

    Obie (10-12-2017)

  8. #1345
    Senior Member blabbermouth Leatherstockiings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rural Missouri
    Posts
    4,920
    Thanked: 962

    Default

    The Harris soaps are capable of creating a thick and dense lather. I find they require a little more finessing than creams/soaps like Castle Forbes and Tabac. I also face lather if that changes anything.
    Last edited by Leatherstockiings; 10-12-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: grammar

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leatherstockiings For This Useful Post:

    neehooya (10-12-2017), Obie (10-12-2017)

  10. #1346
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    309
    Thanked: 88

    Default

    Thanks Leatherstockiings, I will practice some more. I did, too face lather.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to neehooya For This Useful Post:

    Obie (10-12-2017)

  12. #1347
    Senior Member blabbermouth Gasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Colorado springs
    Posts
    2,409
    Thanked: 512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neehooya View Post
    Gents,

    I finally got to the DRH Windsor puck this morning, I liked the subtle scent and shaving properties however, I thought it lacked a little in cushion/density.
    I wasn't able to whip up a frothy lather that I normally get from MdC, Baume.be, CF, or A.Gomez.
    It could have been user error and I might have added too much aqua. I'm working here in CO with hard water and many of you reported that DRH is a thirsty puck. So maybe subconsciously I thought I needed to add more water than I typically do.

    I promise to update you again after I experiment with the soap a little more.
    Keep on shaving my friends!
    Please do update. I plan on an order tomorrow. Being 100 miles south of you i dont have hard water. Im enterested in what and how you work this stuff Neehooya.
    Jerry...

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gasman For This Useful Post:

    Obie (10-12-2017)

  14. #1348
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    309
    Thanked: 88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    Please do update. I plan on an order tomorrow. Being 100 miles south of you i dont have hard water. Im enterested in what and how you work this stuff Neehooya.
    Will do Jerry for sure, as mentioned above, I liked it but probably over watered the brush a bit.
    Gasman likes this.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neehooya For This Useful Post:

    Gasman (10-13-2017), Obie (10-12-2017)

  16. #1349
    Senior Member blabbermouth niftyshaving's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Posts
    3,099
    Thanked: 837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
    That's an interesting point regarding DE razors versus straights.
    ......
    Then it struck me, the majority giving it excellent reviews were DE shavers (on majority DE forums), and that makes sense now.
    .....
    So great comment, what I bolded just connected the dots for me, real or imagined....thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenRipper View Post
    Your realizations on how we compare, percentage-wise, to the DE and SE shavers is something that has been made pretty clear to me over the summer. First it was a shaving meet here in StL where I quickly realized that I was nearly the only straight shaver in attendance, outside the estimable Lynn Abrams of course.
    .....
    How quickly I've become a shaving snob.
    .....
    I try to be cognizant of the fact that while DE shavers may love a certain soap we straight shavers may have a slightly different opinion.
    I tend to use one of a DE or a str8 on any given day.

    I am not so much a razor snob as a Latherin snob.
    I make a lather for my face and my whiskers and not so much
    for the razor.
    I have rinsed my face off and started a lather from scratch more than once.
    I am not bashful about putting a razor in the needs improvement pile and
    grabbing another even a fresh DE blade to finish a shave.

    The key I think is the language and feel of a DE and open edge razor will
    differ and that includes 'sharp' and 'smooth' when talking about edges.

    I am also moderately allergic to fragrances and perfume thus I gravitate to
    the old school soaps with mild fragrances.

    Play with your soap... add more and less water more an less elbow grease
    more and less soap... have fun.
    BobH, neehooya, Porl and 2 others like this.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to niftyshaving For This Useful Post:

    Obie (10-13-2017)

  18. #1350
    Senior Member petercp4e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Oakham, Ma.
    Posts
    1,463
    Thanked: 561

    Default

    I just had my first shave with Oleo Soapworks : Northerly Island.

    Wow!!! Everything that has been said is true and then some.

    The soap produced boatloads of rich, creamy, well hydrated lather very easily.
    The cushion and glide are phenomenal.
    The post shave feel was terrific.

    I'm a big fan of Vetiver. The soap has Vetiver, Bergamont, Ginger and Mandarin.
    It, to me, is much more complex than plain Vetiver. It is very pleasant and quite alluring. By the end of the shave I was hooked and couldn't get enough.

    In just one shave this soap not only produced tier one results, but hands down, went to the very top of my tier one.
    It's not only a home run, it's a grand slam.

    Many thanks to Obie for introducing us to this wonderful soap, and to Vida for producing a superior product.

    Pete <:-}
    "Life is short, Break the Rules. Forgive quickly, Kiss Slowly,
    Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile." - Mark Twain

  19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to petercp4e For This Useful Post:

    Dieseld (10-13-2017), GreenRipper (10-13-2017), markbignosekelly (10-13-2017), neehooya (10-13-2017), Obie (10-13-2017)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •