Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Are there any more good tallow triple-milled soaps - besides DRH, MWF, Tabac and C&S?

  1. #21
    Senior Member blabbermouth Leatherstockiings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rural Missouri
    Posts
    4,802
    Thanked: 941

    Default

    Is the Palmolive shave stick triple milled?

    I find it comparable to Tabac and D. R. Harris- it just doesn't smell as good. Plus, the Palmolive soap is limited to stick version only.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Tel Aviv, Israel
    Posts
    165
    Thanked: 34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherstockiings View Post
    Is the Palmolive shave stick triple milled?

    I find it comparable to Tabac and D. R. Harris- it just doesn't smell as good. Plus, the Palmolive soap is limited to stick version only.
    Don't know about Palmolive, but other sticks I've used were not triple-milled as they probably wanted the soap to be softer for easier application directly from the stick.
    I never saw Palmolive mentioned as someone's first-tier soap. Do you find it that good?

  3. #23
    Senior Member nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chapel Hill,NC
    Posts
    660
    Thanked: 243

    Default

    Another vote for Green Mountain soap. The scents aren't as strong as others but it"s a great soap in my opinion. to me it compares favorably with MWF and others.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to nipper For This Useful Post:

    dimab (10-05-2017)

  5. #24
    Senior Member blabbermouth Leatherstockiings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Rural Missouri
    Posts
    4,802
    Thanked: 941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dimab View Post
    I never saw Palmolive mentioned as someone's first-tier soap. Do you find it that good?
    I think performance wise Palmolive falls just short of Tabac and D. R. Harris. It can produce a thick, slick lather. Also, it is pretty decent at moisturizing. I'm surprised by how good it is every time I use it. It takes a little longer for me to build a lather with the stick (face lathering) compared to my Harris stick. The Palmolive soap doe smell very similar to the dish washing soap which is detraction for me.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leatherstockiings For This Useful Post:

    dimab (10-05-2017)

  7. #25
    Senior Member De Layne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    281
    Thanked: 231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celestino View Post
    * AoS (Art of Shaving) is excellent and you can find packs of three on ebay and online for a very reasonable price.
    .
    That's right, I forgot about that older incarnation AOS stuff and yeah it meets all the requirements...heh. Plus even though it's extinct that ebay seller has been offering em for less than old retail prices. Used it myself with excellent results but the scent wasn't for me.

  8. #26
    Senior Moderator JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32,560
    Thanked: 11016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dimab View Post
    Any suggestions for first tier tallow triple-milled soaps will be highly appreciated
    In case you haven't seen this thread ...........

    First Tier Soaps and Creams
    Be careful how you treat people on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down.

  9. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Tel Aviv, Israel
    Posts
    165
    Thanked: 34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by De Layne View Post
    That's right, I forgot about that older incarnation AOS stuff and yeah it meets all the requirements...heh. Plus even though it's extinct that ebay seller has been offering em for less than old retail prices. Used it myself with excellent results but the scent wasn't for me.
    Haven't seen someone offering the old tallow formula. Do you by any chance remember this seller's nickname?

  10. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Tel Aviv, Israel
    Posts
    165
    Thanked: 34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHAD View Post
    In case you haven't seen this thread ...........

    First Tier Soaps and Creams
    But of course! One of the best threads of all the shaving forums I even participated a couple of times, and definitely got much poorer because of it (but much richer with wonderful experiences).
    The problem is, it's a HUGE thread, and it doesn't concentrate neither on tallow nor on triple-milled soaps, which as I see now is a rather small portion of the first-tier list. That's why I opted for opening dedicated thread.
    JimmyHAD likes this.

  11. #29
    Senior Member De Layne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    281
    Thanked: 231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dimab View Post
    Haven't seen someone offering the old tallow formula. Do you by any chance remember this seller's nickname?
    I do have it! Bought on ebay in April from a seller named madison-ave-deals. Three sealed NOS pucks for $35 shipped. Oh, one important point is there's most likely just one scent available......luckily it's sandalwood. The AOS line was known for an excellent soap in that flavor and when available/being made the soaps were $22. Yep, a lot at the time.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to De Layne For This Useful Post:

    dimab (10-05-2017)

  13. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Tel Aviv, Israel
    Posts
    165
    Thanked: 34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by De Layne View Post
    I do have it! Bought on ebay in April from a seller named madison-ave-deals. Three sealed NOS pucks for $35 shipped. Oh, one important point is there's most likely just one scent available......luckily it's sandalwood. The AOS line was known for an excellent soap in that flavor and when available/being made the soaps were $22. Yep, a lot at the time.
    Thanks! Their eBay store is currently empty, but I'll check it again from time to time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •