Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question Shaving with olive oil

    Hi there,

    This is my first post on this forum and I am a complete newbie - I don't even have a straight-razor yet, but I am very tempted to buy one.
    I have a question in relation to shaving soaps/creams. At the moment I use disposable gilette safety razors (and can't wait to be rid of them! They shave ok, but are pretty expensive in the long run and not the most environmentally friendly).

    Anyway, for a few years now I have been shaving using just olive oil on my face - it works great, leaves the skin moisturised, you can see exactly what you're shaving, it's super-cheap and it's even edible

    My question is this - will olive oil also work well with a straight razor?

  2. #2
    Shvaing nut jbcohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Palanthas
    Posts
    664
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 38 Times in 38 Posts

    Default

    This is the first time I have heard of anyone shaving with Olive Oil as shave cream or shave oil. I would not call a disposable a safety at all, thats stretching the term to a point where its about to snap. I would referr to a disposable as a dispsoable not a sfaety at all.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,011
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 400 Times in 343 Posts

    Default

    IIRC people shaved with peanut butter during the war, so why not shave with olive oil?
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr.

  4. #4
    I shave with a spoon on a stick. Slartibartfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stay away stalker!
    Posts
    4,564
    Thanks
    596
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    http://www.straightrazorplace.com/fo...-preshave.html

    Here is a past thread of olive oil. I have used it as preshave before. I know disturben will use it for his ATG pass at times.

    I have never tried an olive oil only shave, but if you search the googles you will see that many people use it, and it is popular w/ leg shavers.shave with olive oil

    Just make sure your hands are clean when holding the straight.

    btw, A disposable is a "safety razor".

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Slartibartfast For This Useful Post:

    Shylock (07-10-2009)

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks guys,

    Special thanks to Slartibartfast for that link - I did a search of the forum before posting this but it seems I missed that one!

  7. #6
    Shvaing nut jbcohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Palanthas
    Posts
    664
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 38 Times in 38 Posts

    Default

    Peanut butter? Thats real interesting, I would imagine that would make one smell real good after the shave.

  8. #7
    SRP Founder
    Lynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    7,971
    Thanks
    1,938
    Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    This should actually be fine.......

    Pre-heat the face to 325 degrees and then lay a thin layer of oil on it for 3-5 minutes......sprinkle in your spices lightly and then shave. Remove from the razor and allow to cool for another 3 minutes. Next you will want to apply some Floids, pat gently and voila, you are done..........



    Lynn
    Chief Honemeister
    Honed more than 50000 razors in over 15 years

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:

    BeBerlin (07-11-2009),JimmyHAD (07-10-2009)

  10. #8
    BF4 gamer commiecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    2,539
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked 704 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    http://www.straightrazorplace.com/fo...-preshave.html

    Here is a past thread of olive oil. I have used it as preshave before. I know disturben will use it for his ATG pass at times.

    I have never tried an olive oil only shave, but if you search the googles you will see that many people use it, and it is popular w/ leg shavers.shave with olive oil

    Just make sure your hands are clean when holding the straight.

    btw, A disposable is a "safety razor".
    +1

    I've used olive oil as a preshave and it works well. There are also a few threads discussing mixing olive with castor oil and adding scent to make something similar to retail preshaves. I actually like the olive oil scent so I apply it straight. I lather on top of the oil.

    And it's worth repeating that you must make sure the oil is completely removed from your hands before shaving.

  11. #9
    I shave with a spoon on a stick. Slartibartfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stay away stalker!
    Posts
    4,564
    Thanks
    596
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by commiecat View Post
    +1

    I've used olive oil as a preshave and it works well. There are also a few threads discussing mixing olive with castor oil and adding scent to make something similar to retail preshaves. I actually like the olive oil scent so I apply it straight. I lather on top of the oil.

    And it's worth repeating that you must make sure the oil is completely removed from your hands before shaving.
    I have a mixture of olive oil,castor oil, and almond essential oil right now. I rarely use it though.

    I found it to be more useful when i shaved w/ DE's, than with straights.
    Last edited by Slartibartfast; 07-10-2009 at 02:44 PM.

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,011
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 400 Times in 343 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    This should actually be fine.......

    Pre-heat the face to 325 degrees and then lay a thin layer of oil on it for 3-5 minutes......sprinkle in your spices lightly and then shave. Remove from the razor and allow to cool for another 3 minutes. Next you will want to apply some Floids, pat gently and voila, you are done..........



    Lynn

    So that's how you like your steaks!
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •