Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 179
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: pushbikes

  1. #21
    Senior Member blabbermouth edhewitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanked: 711
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double0757 View Post
    Here's my "push bike"! Commuter, groceries getter, and city "car". Ditch the car last spring, after my son total it on a wreck. Now I'm a one car family. The bike been with me 29 years and she and I have seen many road miles from around the world!

    Attachment 152341Attachment 152342Attachment 152343
    What is it? And don't say "a bike"
    Bread and water can so easily become tea and toast

  2. #22
    Senior Member Double0757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    790
    Thanked: 179

    Default

    1983 Cannondale touring bike (second year they made bikes in the US). Upgraded many times over the years! Currently a 7 speed (rear) with an 8 speed "brake shifter". Front hub dynamo running rear and front lights, SS fenders, 32mm wide on the rear and 700X28 on the front. Tubus rear rack.

  3. #23
    Senior Member monkeypuzzlebeefeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    wishaw, scotland
    Posts
    366
    Thanked: 54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edhewitt View Post
    I used to buy my bontrager streetlites from Evans, they are a really good road slick, and pretty much bulletproof. 29" wheels just strike me as being a bit weak, and slow to accelerate, but they should be fast, but like I said I know.little, and if you like it then who cares. I take it it.has held.up well for.you?
    It's held up fantastically. It is a little sluggish I guess but once it gets going it really takes very little effort to keep it going, there really is a noticeable kick when it hits the higher gears. I average 14 mph so it's not too sluggish I guess
    edhewitt likes this.

  4. #24
    Senior Member blabbermouth edhewitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanked: 711
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double0757 View Post
    1983 Cannondale touring bike (second year they made bikes in the US). Upgraded many times over the years! Currently a 7 speed (rear) with an 8 speed "brake shifter". Front hub dynamo running rear and front lights, SS fenders, 32mm wide on the rear and 700X28 on the front. Tubus rear rack.
    How do you find the hub dynamo? I assume modern dynamo lights continue to stay lit after you stop moving, at least for a while?
    If you are running 7 sprockets on an 8 speed shifter, what other than being mindful stops you from running the chain off of the sprockets, forgive me.if that is a silly question I havdnt set up the deralieur on my bike for probably 6 years.
    It looks like a solid work horse, mine is a bit like that but much less pretty, and far less used.
    Bread and water can so easily become tea and toast

  5. #25
    Poor Fit
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,563
    Thanked: 1263

    Default

    When I do go out for a ride anymore it's just to go for a cruise and hear the comments I get…lol.
    This is the reason for the comments…

    Name:  IMG_0814.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  54.5 KB
    onimaru55, MickR, 32t and 7 others like this.

  6. #26
    Senior Member blabbermouth edhewitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanked: 711
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeypuzzlebeefeater View Post
    It's held up fantastically. It is a little sluggish I guess but once it gets going it really takes very little effort to keep it going, there really is a noticeable kick when it hits the higher gears. I average 14 mph so it's not too sluggish I guess
    That's not bad going is it, until I got my current bike I used to hack around.London on a £100 cheapie atb, it was fine but quite heavy though the galaxy isn't exactly light, I just looked up the specs on the new model, and they weigh 13.6kg.
    Do you use cleats or toe straps, it makes a big difference having your feet secured to the bike, on the up stroke you can pull, so both your legs work all of the time. I found cleats safer once i had mastered them, but i did fall over sideways the first time a had to stop at a roundabout in them.
    Bread and water can so easily become tea and toast

  7. #27
    Senior Member blabbermouth edhewitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanked: 711
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catrentshaving View Post
    When I do go out for a ride anymore it's just to go for a cruise and hear the comments I get…lol.
    This is the reason for the comments…

    Name:  IMG_0814.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  54.5 KB
    What can I say . It's nice looking, though not my style, it looks like it would be comfortable to get about on.
    Bread and water can so easily become tea and toast

  8. #28
    Senior Member monkeypuzzlebeefeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    wishaw, scotland
    Posts
    366
    Thanked: 54

    Default

    I want one! That looks amazing!
    edhewitt likes this.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Double0757's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    790
    Thanked: 179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edhewitt View Post
    How do you find the hub dynamo? I assume modern dynamo lights continue to stay lit after you stop moving, at least for a while?
    If you are running 7 sprockets on an 8 speed shifter, what other than being mindful stops you from running the chain off of the sprockets, forgive me.if that is a silly question I havdnt set up the deralieur on my bike for probably 6 years.
    It looks like a solid work horse, mine is a bit like that but much less pretty, and far less used.
    I don't feel any difference between a regular hub to this dynamo hub, as far as resistance goes. The wheel is a little heavier but that's it. The dynamo run lights are very bright and the beam pattern is optimize for the road. The front light has a small lithium battery that last 4 minutes on, after a stop. The rear has a capacitor that keeps the rear on for 3-4 minutes.

    The spacing on the rear is 127mm, today's bike are 130 or 135 (I think). If it was a cro Molly frame (steel), you could stretch it and fit an 8 or 9 speed cassette, however, the aluminum frames can't be spread the 3 or 5 mm needed to fit them. So I'm stuck with a 7 speed cassette on this bike. Since I wanted "brifters" brake shifters for this bike and the only brifters are made for 8 speed and more. You have a dead gear that is limit by the rear limiter (don't allow the chain to go beyond the last sprocket). In other words, you shift to the last gear and the chain don't move, but it works for me. By the way, the spacing between the 7 and 8 shifters are very very close, making it compatible between them.

    In her past life, she was a fast tourer, latter became a commuter and now she is a commuter/work horse. However, a month ago, I took the trunk and all unnecessary equipment off and took her on a 45 mile ride, she still resembles that fast tourer she was once!

    Double O

  10. #30
    Senior Member blabbermouth edhewitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    7,929
    Thanked: 711
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The dynamo hub sounds interesting, not something I need currently, but definately one I will store away for future.
    My frame is Reynolds 835 as far as I know, it is definately steel, so is a bit weighty but almost indestructible. I really need to get into shape so I can properly enjoy riding again, I think I will put the other two chainrings back on the front of mine, the rings and dreaileur etc are pretty light. And at the moment the additional gearing might be useful to me.
    Bread and water can so easily become tea and toast

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •