Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Born on the Bayou jaegerhund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,773
    Thanked: 6

    Default Another Stropping Observation

    I've come to the conclusion ,after years of research and billions of dollars spent, --or is it just a couple of months and the price of admission? -- anyway that when stropping, I can employ better technique and get better results if I unfold my razor to about 200 deg. with 180 deg. being the razor unfolded so that the blade is inline with the handle.
    Just an observation.


    Justin

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,180
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Justin,

    That's an interesting observation, thanks for passing it along. I have a queston: do the scales get in your way as you flip the razor for the opposite pass? I guess they wouldn't since they would always be on the underside of your hand. Can you hypothosize (sp?) why your technique and results improve using this method? I'd be interested in that.

    Also, don't come to too many conclusions too quickly, If you do, your federal funding may get cut off. Then how would you make a living

  3. #3
    Forum mogwai thebigspendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    27,495
    Thanked: 4358
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Like everything else each must find his own way. I keep the razor 180 out from the handle while stropping.
    Every day without fail one should consider himself as dead-Tsunetomo

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,180
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigspendur View Post
    Like everything else each must find his own way. I keep the razor 180 out from the handle while stropping.
    that's true. I just enjoy hearing about how people come to the decisions they do.

  5. #5
    Born on the Bayou jaegerhund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,773
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Justin,

    That's an interesting observation, thanks for passing it along. I have a queston: do the scales get in your way as you flip the razor for the opposite pass? I guess they wouldn't since they would always be on the underside of your hand. Can you hypothosize (sp?) why your technique and results improve using this method? I'd be interested in that.

    Also, don't come to too many conclusions too quickly, If you do, your federal funding may get cut off. Then how would you make a living
    I'm not sure yet Steve. Let me think about it and do some test runs. It might be do to my own idiosyncracies ---and might even change with a different razor and strop setup. But I think about 2 months ago, I remember someone saying that he had better luck honing with the razor in this position. Maybe it's a balance thing. Later,


    Justin

  6. #6
    Senior Member xChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    787
    Thanked: 65

    Default

    I have used the same technique -- opening the scales past 180deg. For me, having the scales inline with the tang/tail allowed me to sometimes catch the scales with the heel of my hand, and twist (pull off) the razor from the strop (bad for stropping).

    I also find flipping the razor over easier since the scales are opened further away from my hand, wrist, & lower forearm.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,180
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xChris View Post
    I have used the same technique -- opening the scales past 180deg. For me, having the scales inline with the tang/tail allowed me to sometimes catch the scales with the heel of my hand, and twist (pull off) the razor from the strop (bad for stropping).

    I also find flipping the razor over easier since the scales are opened further away from my hand, wrist, & lower forearm.
    Fascinating, I'll think I'll give this a go and see. I never really thought about this before.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    153
    Thanked: 17

    Default

    I'm in the 200 degree camp too. I don't know if it's actually that much, but it's just a hair past straight open. It makes the whole process easier... not sure why, but it is.

  9. #9
    Born on the Bayou jaegerhund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,773
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Good to see I'm not the lone ranger here.

    Justin

  10. #10
    Senior Member blabbermouth Kees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,922
    Thanked: 567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaegerhund View Post
    I've come to the conclusion ,after years of research and billions of dollars spent, --or is it just a couple of months and the price of admission? -- anyway that when stropping, I can employ better technique and get better results if I unfold my razor to about 200 deg. with 180 deg. being the razor unfolded so that the blade is inline with the handle.
    Just an observation.


    Justin
    I used to do this but don't anymore as with one of my razors I tend to lift the spine at a 200 deg angle which does not happen to me at 180 deg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •