Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member 1adam12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virgina
    Posts
    236
    Thanked: 9

    Default Which pastes would you use?

    I am planning on getting a Norton 4/8K, and a 2 sided 3" wide paddle strop from Tony for Christmas. Since this will be my gear to keep my razors sharp, and it will be the only stuff I get for a long long time. Answer me these questions three.

    Which 2 pastes would be the best step down from the 8K side of the Norton?
    Which 2 pastes would keep me away from the hone for longest time?
    Which 2 pastes would maintain a sharp but comfortable edge?

    I have read several posts here and there about pastes. For instance, I seem to remember Randy prefering Chromium Oxide over Diamond paste; because the edge feels better on his dainty skin using the green stuff. This is the kind of thing I am looking for to base my final paste decision on. Thanks ya bunch of razor freaks.
    Last edited by 1adam12; 10-26-2006 at 06:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Tony Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nottingham, Maryland
    Posts
    2,494
    Thanked: 334

    Default

    My quick opinion would be to use 1.0 and 0.5 micron diamond pastes. If I recall correctly 3.0 micron may be similar to the 8K side of the Norton so would be a duplicate, 1.0 would be the next finest step down with 0.5 more than enough for most mortals for a finish shaving edge. Some ant the 0.25 but in most cases it may be overkill, at least with some razors. often it results in the edge needing more frequent touch up than if the 0.5 were used.

    Tony

  3. #3
    Electric Razor Aficionado
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanked: 344

    Default

    Just get the 1.0 micron diamond paste and keep the other side for daily stropping. Tony's wide paddle strops are great for daily stropping, I recently started using the plain side of mine and I like it nearly as much as a hanging strop, paddles are a lot faster than I remembered (or I've gotten a lot faster, which is more likely).

  4. #4
    Loudmouth FiReSTaRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Etobicoke, ON
    Posts
    7,171
    Thanked: 64

    Default

    Randy said that you can even go with 0.5 right off the Norton. In that case, I'd recommend 0.5 and 0.25

  5. #5
    Super Shaver xman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lotus Land, eh
    Posts
    8,194
    Thanked: 622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12
    Which 2 pastes would be the best step down from the 8K side of the Norton?
    I prefer the 0.5 and 0.25, but I do use a 12k for about 6 laps between the Norton and pastes. It's more exacting to hone that way but I do it because I like a VERY sharp blade.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12
    Which 2 pastes would keep me away from the hone for longest time?
    Probably the 1.0 and the 0.5.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12
    Which 2 pastes would maintain a sharp but comfortable edge?
    I find the 0.25 quite comfortable since the sharper a blade is, the less pressure I feel like using and as we all know from those funny garbage razor commercials "Before, pressure caused irritation".

    All in all I'd suggest the 1 and 0.5 as your best direction. If you decide you want to try the 0.25 at some point in the future that's gravy.

    Me? I like gravy!

    X

  6. #6
    Knife & Razor Maker Joe Chandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,849
    Thanked: 49

    Default

    I sent you a PM, with more detail, but I'd say if I could only have 2 pastes, I'd go with .5 diamond and green chrome. The GC is actually rated at about .5 micron as well, but it cuts softer, producing a better shaving edge, IMO. It polishes more than cuts, while the diamond seems to produce a harsher edge, though no less sharp. I've got lots of different compounds, both dry, paste, and liquid, but those two are the two I probably use the most.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Damon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Goodyear AZ
    Posts
    281
    Thanked: 8

    Default

    Hi 1adam12,

    I asked a similar question a while back only about microns verses grits and here is the post if you want the info to help you make your decision.-
    http://www.straightrazorplace.com/fo...ead.php?t=7501

    I prefer DOVO red On one side of the paddle and .5 chrome oxide on the other

  8. #8
    Senior Member Joe Lerch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,331
    Thanked: 8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12
    I am planning on getting a Norton 4/8K, and a 2 sided 3" wide paddle strop from Tony for Christmas. Since this will be my gear to keep my razors sharp, and it will be the only stuff I get for a long long time. Answer me these questions three.

    Which 2 pastes would be the best step down from the 8K side of the Norton?
    Which 2 pastes would keep me away from the hone for longest time?
    Which 2 pastes would maintain a sharp but comfortable edge?

    I have read several posts here and there about pastes. For instance, I seem to remember Randy prefering Chromium Oxide over Diamond paste; because the edge feels better on his dainty skin using the green stuff. This is the kind of thing I am looking for to base my final paste decision on. Thanks ya bunch of razor freaks.
    I would go for 1 and .5 microns. That gives you about 15K and 50K. It's not a bad transition and the .5 will leave the edge beautiful.

    As for keeping off the hone, the way you do that is by refreshing the edge when ordinary stropping fails to restore its sharpness (you feel a slight pull). Do a few quick swipes on the 1 and about 10 on the .5 and your refreshed.

    There's a reverse relationship between the fineness of the edge and how long it lasts. If you're willing to compromise and not use the .5, your edge should last longer between refreshings. In any case you can go on refreshing indefinitely before serious honing would benecessary.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Joe Lerch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,331
    Thanked: 8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT
    Randy said that you can even go with 0.5 right off the Norton. In that case, I'd recommend 0.5 and 0.25
    Hey, you can do anything. But you'll need a lot more roundtrips on the .5 if you skip the 1 micron.

    Randy thinks nothing of doing a 100 roundtrips. That tries my patience. I don't need that many total to restore th edge on most Ebay acquisitions. I find it easier to use a progression of grits that works quickly and efficiently and save the round trips for the end when I'm trying to polish up the edge (I use a .25 paste).

  10. #10
    Loudmouth FiReSTaRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Etobicoke, ON
    Posts
    7,171
    Thanked: 64

    Default

    Joe, that was the next question I was gonna ask. So it would take about 100 passes on the 0.5 chromium oxide after the N8k?
    As I keep my RAD in check and I won't have to do 100 passes for touchups, I don't mind doing it once in the blade's life-time or once a year at most.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •