Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Chrome-tanned or Veg-tanned leather?

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Ah, it says that it will scratch easily. I would really prefer a leather that would not scratch easily.

    My goal is...
    1) Best leather for blade sharpening
    2) If I need compounds, a leather that will be receptive
    3) Attractive leather that is durable & long-lasting

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Yes, my goal is to sharpen cartridges. Are you referring to this --> Straight Razor Designs Leather Strop Replacement - $24.99 :

    What kind of leather is that? Is it an assortment of different kinds? Is the compound already on it?

  3. #13
    Senior Moderator JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32,563
    Thanked: 11021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KnivesFanatic View Post
    Ah, it says that it will scratch easily. I would really prefer a leather that would not scratch easily.

    My goal is...
    1) Best leather for blade sharpening
    2) If I need compounds, a leather that will be receptive
    3) Attractive leather that is durable & long-lasting
    And what blade type are you looking to maintain or 'sharpen' on said leather ? If it is a knife and you want to use compound I would suggest a hard felt hanger with diamond spray. Whatever you get, if you are pulling steel across compound, it will discolor the material fairly quickly.
    Be careful how you treat people on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    I'm sharpening carbide steel (the metal found in cartridges)

  5. #15
    Senior Moderator JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32,563
    Thanked: 11021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KnivesFanatic View Post
    Yes, my goal is to sharpen cartridges. Are you referring to this --> Straight Razor Designs Leather Strop Replacement - $24.99 :

    What kind of leather is that? Is it an assortment of different kinds? Is the compound already on it?
    Well I don't think there is a member on this board that has attempted to sharpen or strop a cartridge razor. Give it a shot and let us know how you make out. I was referring to the modular strop pads ........ Straight Razor Designs Lynn Abrams Modular Paddle Pads - $10.99 :
    Be careful how you treat people on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down.

  6. #16
    The original Skolor and Gentileman. gugi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16,690
    Thanked: 3308
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KnivesFanatic View Post
    I'm sharpening carbide steel (the metal found in cartridges)
    How are you planning to remove the polymer coating on top of the steel?

    And how are you planning to deal with the burr from removing steel only from one side?

  7. #17
    Senior Moderator JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32,563
    Thanked: 11021

    Default

    KnivesFanatic, if members replying don't seem enthusiastic about your project consider that 99% of our membership wouldn't shave with a cartridge unless it was an emergency and there was no viable alternative. We found that returning to the ways of our forefathers was much more satisfying and so we've left the 'modern' technology behind.
    Be careful how you treat people on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyHAD For This Useful Post:

    Hirlau (05-07-2014)

  9. #18
    Have Married My Coticule
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    318
    Thanked: 39

    Default

    Would a chromium oxide pasted strop work for this purpose? I don't even possess a cartridge razors with which to test but it doesn't seem a ridiculous proposition... Unless the tight tolerance between he blades prevents this?

  10. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gugi View Post
    How are you planning to remove the polymer coating on top of the steel?

    And how are you planning to deal with the burr from removing steel only from one side?
    Excuse my naivety, but why do I need to remove the polymer coating?

    Also, I do not know about the burr. What would you recommend?

  11. #20
    Senior Moderator JimmyHAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32,563
    Thanked: 11021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KnivesFanatic View Post
    Excuse my naivety, but why do I need to remove the polymer coating?

    Also, I do not know about the burr. What would you recommend?
    gugi isn't saying you need to remove the polymer coating (not trying to put words in his mouth and than quote him) but that it will be removed when you strop/hone, or whatever it is. The polymer is what makes DE, cartridges, and SE blades more smooth than they would be without it. Remove it through the abrasion of rubbing it on a pasted strop and you're as the Asiatic Fleet sailors of WWII used to say, "Crusin' for a bruisin."

    As far as the burr, a knife, as you well know, develops a burr while it is being sharpened. Since the cartridge blades can only be attacked from one side, the other is left unaffected. That is my interpretation anyway.
    Be careful how you treat people on your way up, you may meet them again on your way back down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •