Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Info on old strop

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default Info on old strop

    So I purchased this strop off eBay as it was only $10 and even if it was bad, thought it would look kind of interesting. It does look better than the one I was using and it also feels better. Am sceptical of the one I had as it just doesn't feel right to me.

    I would like some info on it if possible such as quality of brand (ROYAL I believe) and if it looks ok to use.

    The one I just received

    And the one I already had



    Cheers
    Mark


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Forum mogwai thebigspendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    27,689
    Thanked: 4402
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    The royal probably wasn't meant as a daily strop as it was treated with grit. Similar as CrO but if it's what it says way more abrasive. Not bad shape. However if it was an untreated strop for daily use it needs some work.
    animeist likes this.
    Every day without fail one should consider himself as dead-Tsunetomo

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigspendur View Post
    The royal probably wasn't meant as a daily strop as it was treated with grit. Similar as CrO but if it's what it says way more abrasive. Not bad shape. However if it was an untreated strop for daily use it needs some work.
    Ah ok, guess I will continue with the crappy eBay one as my daily then.

    It feels pretty dry to be honest, like an old wallet. Was wondering if I should oil it up or not and if I do should I oil the "sharpen" side too?

    I don't think it was a daily use one, but then again I am relatively new to this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member blabbermouth tcrideshd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Oakland Tn
    Posts
    4,471
    Thanked: 1118

    Default

    Maybe start saving your 10$ and stay away from those kinds of buy items till your well versed in what a a good strop. And go ahead and spend a few bucks to get a good quality one. Stropping us the most important aspect of this sport, first above any of the items, get a shave ready razor and then the strop will keep it shaving well for a long time once you learn it. Then as you learn you can take n projects. Good luck. Tc
    Ever wonder why you never see a motorcycle in front of a Shrinks office? ,,,,, then you have never ridden one "

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcrideshd View Post
    Maybe start saving your 10$ and stay away from those kinds of buy items till your well versed in what a a good strop. And go ahead and spend a few bucks to get a good quality one. Stropping us the most important aspect of this sport, first above any of the items, get a shave ready razor and then the strop will keep it shaving well for a long time once you learn it. Then as you learn you can take n projects. Good luck. Tc
    As I am so new to this I was worried about nicking whatever strop I have, hence the cheapo one I got and this one. I am fine with just hanging this somewhere as I think it has a really nice look.

    My issue is being a student I just don't have the money to spend on a good strop and I do not yet have the knowledge of what makes a good second hand one. So yeah, I guess I have to save and take the risk of cutting it.

    Also being in oz, we are somewhat limited in our buying options when we need something quickly.
    I do have a shave ready razor that is doing wonders and I have a hone that my dad had laying around that was brand new kasumi 3k/8k and I have a crappy razor to practice with.
    So I am slowly getting there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Senior Member blabbermouth outback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    6,543
    Thanked: 2414

    Default

    Get a cheap leather belt, and practice with a butter knife
    animeist likes this.
    Mike

  8. #8
    Senior Member Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,905
    Thanked: 360

    Default

    Actually I think you did just fine unless I am not seeing something here. The strop you just bought has two sides right? A black side that is "carborundum" filled to sharpen a blade starting to tug and a brown side for finishing right? The brown side you would use daily. When the razor starts to pull then just use the black side for say 5-10 licks and back to the brown to finish. I would say that was a heck of a steel.(steal)
    Last edited by Steel; 07-14-2017 at 05:25 AM.
    What a curse be a dull razor; what a prideful comfort a sharp one

  9. #9
    Moderator Hirlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    13,681
    Thanked: 3504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animeist View Post
    As I am so new to this I was worried about nicking whatever strop I have, hence the cheapo one I got and this one. I am fine with just hanging this somewhere as I think it has a really nice look.

    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't worry about nicking your strop, we have all been there. Just take your time, I never did in the beginning, I was in a hurry to strop, hone & restore. I have paid a heavy price in equipment.

    I became the proud owner of the famous Exotic Leopard Strop & No,, it's not for sale !

    BTW I still use her & she strops just fine, even with the spots.


    The Exotic Leopard Strop !!
    Steel, outback and Porl like this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Actually I think you did just fine unless I am not seeing something here. The strop you just bought has two sides right? A black side that is "carborundum" filled to sharpen a blade starting to tug and a brown side for finishing right? The brown side you would use daily. When the razor starts to pull then just use the black side for say 5-10 licks and back to the brown to finish. I would say that was a heck of a steel.(steal)
    I thought the exact same thing. I think I may have to spend a while on google to double check. It is difficult to find any info on this strop.
    Thanks for the help and the pun lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steel likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •