Page 5 of 464 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 4640
Like Tree13519Likes

Thread: The Butchered Blade

  1. #41
    Str8Faced Gent. MikeB52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Orangeville, Ontario
    Posts
    4,514
    Thanked: 2757
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Nice, looks like there's a toe chip or is that the pic?
    Should clean up very well though. Nice grind.
    Cheers
    "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    https://mobro.co/michaelbolton65?mc=1

  2. #42
    Senior Member JSmith1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Menominee,MI
    Posts
    1,587
    Thanked: 312

    Default

    Its not a stub tail. It is a true convex wedge. Only has Johnson on it. Looks like someone tried to grind it flat. I was going to try and make it a frameback.

  3. #43
    Senior Member blabbermouth outback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    6,558
    Thanked: 2423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB52 View Post
    Nice, looks like there's a toe chip or is that the pic?
    Should clean up very well though. Nice grind.
    Cheers
    No chips. A little wear on the toe, heavy hone. But not to bad.
    Started with 400 w/d paper.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1439421916511.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  39.3 KB
    Mike

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to outback For This Useful Post:

    sharptonn (08-13-2015)

  5. #44
    barba crescit caput nescit Phrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,105
    Thanked: 2358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB52 View Post
    Attachment 208965Attachment 208966
    And now she's a little more than the Mona Lisa's grin. I can hone a bit more smile in during the bevel set I would presume. Need one of my small machinist files to get up tight on the stab but she's coming..
    That looks amazing! This has been fun watching this razor transform itself, I think it explains an odd one like that I have that's about 7/8 as well...what are you thinking of for scales?
    sharptonn and MikeT like this.

  6. #45
    Str8Faced Gent. MikeB52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Orangeville, Ontario
    Posts
    4,514
    Thanked: 2757
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Name:  scales_20336485020_o.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  33.5 KB
    Thanks gents.
    I'm going to use this one as both test subject and sacrificial horn stock and try to save the originals.
    Name:  scales_20336485510_o.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  36.2 KBName:  scales_20336550238_o.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  37.9 KBName:  scales_20515699702_o.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  36.2 KBName:  scales_19901924314_o.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  56.0 KB
    The one end is missing some, but I have the other for profile. There is also a chunk out of the side of one but it will be a fun experiment if nothing else. I think the wedge is done though and will make a new one out of brass stock.
    If the scale restore isn't to my liking new ones in honey blond horn will be on deck I think.
    Nothing acrylic or kirrinite-ish on this old soldier.
    Cheers.
    "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    https://mobro.co/michaelbolton65?mc=1

  7. #46
    barba crescit caput nescit Phrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,105
    Thanked: 2358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB52 View Post
    Thanks gents.
    I'm going to use this one as both test subject and sacrificial horn stock and try to save the originals.

    The one end is missing some, but I have the other for profile. There is also a chunk out of the side of one but it will be a fun experiment if nothing else. I think the wedge is done though and will make a new one out of brass stock.
    If the scale restore isn't to my liking new ones in honey blond horn will be on deck I think.
    Nothing acrylic or kirrinite-ish on this old soldier.
    Cheers.
    So aside from the grinding, it's going to stay pretty much all original....excellent, can't wait to see it pinned up!
    MikeB52 and Slawman like this.

  8. #47
    Boker Fan wayne394's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brecon, Wales.
    Posts
    709
    Thanked: 91

    Default

    Enjoying this thread gents. Can't wait to see that WB finished.
    MikeB52 likes this.
    One shot one kill

  9. #48
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    18,848
    Thanked: 6062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outback View Post
    No chips. A little wear on the toe, heavy hone. But not to bad.
    Started with 400 w/d paper.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1439421916511.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  39.3 KB
    Looking GREAT!

  10. #49
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    18,848
    Thanked: 6062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB52 View Post
    Name:  scales_20336485020_o.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  33.5 KB
    Thanks gents.
    I'm going to use this one as both test subject and sacrificial horn stock and try to save the originals.
    Name:  scales_20336485510_o.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  36.2 KBName:  scales_20336550238_o.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  37.9 KBName:  scales_20515699702_o.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  36.2 KBName:  scales_19901924314_o.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  56.0 KB
    The one end is missing some, but I have the other for profile. There is also a chunk out of the side of one but it will be a fun experiment if nothing else. I think the wedge is done though and will make a new one out of brass stock.
    If the scale restore isn't to my liking new ones in honey blond horn will be on deck I think.
    Nothing acrylic or kirrinite-ish on this old soldier.
    Cheers.
    You can do it, Mike! Epoxy, cure, sand and rub!

  11. #50
    " Atta Boy!!" sharptonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    18,848
    Thanked: 6062

    Default

    So I am getting happy with my stabilizers. Seems they keep on multiplying!
    Figure I will get my aluminum pop rivet blade bushing in now so as working on the tang a bit, I can also smooth out the grinder's slips there!

    I use an old, trashed Dremel pointed reamer with a 1/8 shaft. A drop of oil and it goes right through these odd-shaped holes. I do use a slow turning drill press and take my time.
    Pop my rivet in, knock out the mandrel with a 1/16 punch;

    Name:  DSCN1994.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  49.4 KBName:  DSCN1995.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  59.3 KBName:  DSCN1996.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  52.4 KB

    Then, dremel drum the head down so thin, I can pick it off with a pocketknife. Grind the other side to just proud of the tang;

    Name:  DSCN1997.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  26.5 KB

    I then take it to my peening anvil and tap it down, squishing it into the remains of the odd-shaped hole, down to the tang.
    Name:  DSCN1998.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  29.5 KBName:  DSCN2000.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  25.7 KB
    I will run a 5/64 bit thru and saw back and forth to make certain the pin is comfortable where the scales dictate.
    Too tight of a pivot bushing can cause seizing and fitment issues, IMO.
    For the record, I do not think this is necessary for most old razors. On this one, my shortened FBU scales are going to make things pretty darn tight, so I don't want it walking forward toward the wedge. This bushing will keep it from that.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sharptonn For This Useful Post:

    ajkenne (08-20-2015), engine46 (08-24-2015), MikeB52 (08-13-2015), MikeT (08-16-2015)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •